Subject: (urth) Jonas, Ship, and ships

From: Josh Young <greatoaktree at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 16:47:01 +0000

>Hethor mentions the name of his ship (can't remember what it was), 
>and Jonas says that his ship was called "The Fortunate Cloud", as 
>far as I recall. The idea that there is just one ship only comes up 
>in UOTNS, and IMO it's a new idea Wolfe had for UOTNS, not part of 
>the earlier volumes. Or maybe this just refers to the Yesod run - 
>ie it's the only ship to cross between universes.

I think there's a difference between the Ship and other ships. Sort of
like the difference between "God" and "gods." One is all powerful,
omnipresent... And the others are imitations. *Shrug* Incidentally,
the name of Hethor's ship was "The Quasar."

Although... Now that I think about it, it's possible that the
different areas aboard the Ship (Gunnie, or someone, says that they
tend to keep the crewmen from the same worlds grouped together.) just
refer to the Ship by different names.... Like, On Urth, it's Fortunate
Cloud, maybe on some other world it's Quasar... Etc.

-- 
~Josh
_____________________________________
"Fear is the mind killer" - Frank Herbert's Dune
"If you want to get warm, you must stand near the fire. If you want to
be wet, you must get into the water. If you want joy, power, peace,
eternal life, you must get close to... the thing that has them. They
are not the sort of prize that God....[would].... just hand out to
anyone." - CS Lewis, Mere Christianity
"Mortal love is merely our introduction to the immortal" - Margaret
Weis & Tracy Hickman's The Seventh Gate