Subject: (urth) "There Are Doors" Comes To Japan

From: James Wynn <thewynns at earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 04:58:15 +0000

Japanese man gets jail time for 'kidnapping' dolls

May 23, 6:12 AM (ET)

TOKYO (Reuters) - A Japanese man has been sentenced to five-and-a-half years 
in jail for snatching mannequins used by a cake shop chain to tout its 
wares.
"Peko-chan," a round-eyed doll around the size of a six-year-old, has been 
used by Fujiya Co. Ltd. to sell sweets for five decades and her grinning 
countenance is a familiar sight in front of shops around Japan.

Recently, however, she has become a favorite of collectors, leading to a 
rash of "Peko-chan" snatchings.

Takeishi Shibuya, 31, was convicted of stealing 15 of the large dolls, 
valued at about 1.1 million yen ($10,170), a court official in Yamagata 
prefecture, northern Japan, said on Monday.

In several cases, Shibuya used pepper spray and spray paint to fend off 
store employees, leading prosecutors to demand a sentence of nine years in 
prison.

"But he has reflected on his crimes and feels bad about what he did, so the 
sentence was lighter as a result," the official said.

After a wave of "Peko-chan" disappearances last year, the company suggested 
chaining the dolls down, but customers complained that this would be cruel.

---

From: Maru Dubshinki <marudubshinki at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 18:56:23 +0000

I'm afraid I plumb missed the 'There are doors' connection- I don't
see how it ties in. Explanation please?

~Maru

On 5/23/05, James Wynn <thewynns at earthlink.net> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>

---

From: James Wynn <thewynns at earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 21:17:43 +0000

Just a general obsession with dolls...treating them like people ala the 
concern that chaining them would be cruel. My first thought when I read the 
article was TAD.
 (shrug)

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Maru Dubshinki" <marudubshinki at gmail.com>
To: "The Urth Mailing List" <urth-urth.net at lists.urth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 8:56 PM
Subject: Re: (urth) "There Are Doors" Comes To Japan

~Maru

---

From: nastler <nastler at yahoo.dk>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 00:53:49 +0000

Or Hethor...

--- James Wynn <thewynns at earthlink.net> skrev:

> > TOKYO (Reuters) - A Japanese man has been
> sentenced to five-and-a-half 
> > years
> > "But he has reflected on his crimes and feels bad
> about what he did, so 
> > the
> > After a wave of "Peko-chan" disappearances last
> year, the company 
> > suggested
> > chaining the dolls down, but customers complained
> that this would be 
> > cruel.
> >
> >

---

From: Dan <autarch at vippn.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 17:13:20 +0000

Oddly enough, i just finished reading There Are Doors this morning.

It was the best Philip K. Dick novel I ever read that was not written by 
Philip K. Dick.

What of Mr. Klamm's relationship to Mr. Green? Same guy at two different 
times or just two different blokes in the same circumstances (only one is 
beginiing his pursuit and the other nearing the end)?

Dan

>------------------------------
>
>Message: 2
>Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 23:15:28 -0500
>From: "James Wynn" <thewynns at earthlink.net>
>Message-ID: <000301c56660$e20a5a30$60a3f63f@wynnhouse>
>Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
>         reply-type=original
>
>------------------------------
>
>End of urth-urth.net Digest, Vol 10, Issue 1
>********************************************

---

From: Adrian Robert <arobert at cogsci.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 12:29:10 +0000

On Jun 2, 2005, at 7:34 PM, Dan wrote:

> It was the best Philip K. Dick novel I ever read that was not written 
> by Philip K. Dick.
>
> What of Mr. Klamm's relationship to Mr. Green? Same guy at two 
> different times or just two different blokes in the same circumstances 
> (only one is beginiing his pursuit and the other nearing the end)?

Hi,

It's been a while since I've read it so I won't answer this here, but, 
if you haven't already, read _The Castle_ by Kafka.  It really deepens 
the experience, and a lot of things will fall into different 
perspectives..

enjoy,
Adrian

---

From: Chris <rasputin_ at hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:44:33 +0000

Klamm could best be described as a priest (perhaps the high priest) of 
Cybele/Rhea. The same could be said to be true of Green, but Green is also 
supposedly Attis/Dionysus. Since the priests of Cybele actually emulate 
Attis, there's obviously going to be a close, apparent relationship there. 
But I think we are led to believe that Green is "the real deal", so to 
speak.

>It's been a while since I've read it so I won't answer this here, but, if 
>you haven't already, read _The Castle_ by Kafka.  It really deepens the 
>experience, and a lot of things will fall into different perspectives..
>
>enjoy,
>Adrian