Subject: (urth) Re: urth-urth.net Digest, Vol 10, Issue 8

From: Josh Young <greatoaktree at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 18:45:50 +0000

> when i think of maytera marble i think of not only kusanagi motoko but also the gynoid in fritz lang's metropolis and of course hadaly (the first android) in the eve of the future which oshi quotes at the beginning of the ghost in the shell ii.
> 
There really are some interesting things in Japanese fiction with
souls, and, specifically, dolls (or robots) with souls. Goes back to
bunraku-- puppet theater from the 18th and 19th centuries.

> post scriptum:  i dont want to turn this into a gigantic anime free for all.... but the only mecha series i like is evangelion neon genesis and that is because it is gnostic rather than buddhist and weird and disturbing in a way only a japanese film can be (even if it is a tv series)

Rah Xephon is like a much better developed Evangelion :)

Forgive me, one of my majors is Japanese. Back to topic :)
-- 
~Josh
_____________________________________
"Fear is the mind killer" - Frank Herbert's Dune
"If you want to get warm, you must stand near the fire. If you want to
be wet, you must get into the water. If you want joy, power, peace,
eternal life, you must get close to... the thing that has them. They
are not the sort of prize that God....[would].... just hand out to
anyone." - CS Lewis, Mere Christianity
"Mortal love is merely our introduction to the immortal" - Margaret
Weis & Tracy Hickman's The Seventh Gate