Subject: (urth) Tussah was not Silk's Father

From: James Wynn <thewynns at earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:45:32 +0000

Chris,

I intended to say this in my response but that was long
and I didnt' want this missed.

Silk was not Tussah's natural son, that's understood.
But he wasn't his adopted son or legal heir either.

Granted, Marble says Mucor is her granddaughter, but she
*did* at least grow up in Blood's house. Silk's relationship with
Tussah was that of a sponsor of the scientists in Roslin, Scotland
to Dolly the Sheep.

The Rajan calls the Inhuma (whose name escapes me) his
"daughter", but a *straightforward* reading of the text is that that is a ruse.

It never rang true to me that Silk would meet Tussah in the
Mainframe as his father. (and who are the other two sets of parents?)

Wolfe's answer to the question regarding Silk's "ancestry" resolved
this issue for me along with a massive list of other problems in the
story. It is surprising to me that other people read The Long Sun
without these questions bouncing around in their heads....and that
is clearly the case since part of some people's aversion to Tussah
as a clone (and that there are other's walking around) is that it
proports to resolve a mystery that they never
considered a big mystery in the first place.

In which case, it looks like I'm complicating something that
was previously so simple. I don't know what to do about that.

~ Crush