Subject: (urth) Typhon

From: Dan <autarch at vippn.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:55:30 +0000

At 02:00 PM 7/5/2005, Chris <rasputin_ at hotmail.com> wrote:

>If Typhon's concern for his face was unrelated to this superlative
>leadership ability then it would seem like more mundane factors like
>familiarity provide only minor motivation to go to so much
>trouble/discomfort, balanced as they are by the fact that as familiar as his
>face might be, the whole two-headed monster thing isn't exactly familiar (or
>positive, either). It gets points for intimidation, but a big penalty for
>anybody inclined to view him as a freak of "nature".

IIRC, Typhon said that Piaton's head could eventually be removed once his 
took over the basic bodily functions. Evidently he was deposed before this 
happened which was long before Sev revived him.  It is odd that he allowed 
this image to persist on the starcrosser. Perhaps the translation technique 
would not allow this image to be edited, so it was incorporated into the 
pantheon.

Dan

---

From: Chris <rasputin_ at hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:37:23 +0000

This has been discussed a few times, I believe. It doesn't seem likely that 
the image was tied inextricably to physical appearance, unless you think 
that Echidne really looked like a monster, etc. It does seem to have 
something to do with self-image, as we see with Tartaros. But it seems just 
as unlikely that Echidne self-identified in such a monstrous way; even 
monstrous people tend to think of themselves in a better light. But if 
Typhon was capable of imposing this image on her, it then raises the 
question of why he didn't fix his own.

Perhaps he had been two-headed for so long that he self-identified that way 
and couldn't alter the image without damaging his personality. (This assumes 
he'd naturally be less concerned about damaging the personalities of his 
wife and children).

>It is odd that he allowed this image to persist on the starcrosser. Perhaps 
>the translation technique would not allow this image to be edited, so it 
>was incorporated into the pantheon.
>
>
>Dan