Subject: (urth) Embryonic Wolfe

From: mournings glory <mourningsglory at hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 03:35:16 +0000

Some terrific discussion taking place lately over in the Asimov's Message 
Board:

http://www.asimovs.com/discus/messages/2/4857.html?1138501545

Among other things Gardner Dozois is currently reading (or more likely has 
probably finished by now) Wolfe's _Soldier of Sidon_ which according to 
Gardner *will be out in a couple of months.*
But even more fascinating, Dozois admits to having rejected a very early 
Gene Wolfe novel -- quite possibly his first.

Dozois: <As for the early novel of Wolfe's that I did indeed reject (or, to 
be more accurate, that I recommended that the editor not buy, since I was 
just a lowly slush-reader), it was hardly a hard SF novel--it was a 
metaphysical novel about strange occult happenings in a small town, narrated 
by the unborn fetus of one of the characters, who dies in a miscarriage at 
the end of the novel (in fact, as I recall, the last line was "And then I 
died.").>

<Gardner, I've never heard of such an early novel by Gene Wolfe. Did it 
precede 'Operation Ares'?>

<Yes. And he never did sell it to anybody, although after he became famous, 
he probably could have, at least to some small press. >

Could, I wonder, this possibly be _Frieda from the Fire_ mentioned in 
Urth-Man Extraordinary as a phantom title? If so, it sounds similar to one 
of my favorite all-time reads, Thomas Keneally's _Passenger_.

13 19 7

---

From: aramini1 at cox.net <aramini1 at cox.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:23:07 +0000

In correspondence, Wolfe once indicated to me that he had written a novel before Operation Ares, that had "entirely too much plot" that was more like a mystery novel than SF.  He says he does not know where the manuscript is or what happened to it.  Sniff .... 

I am sad, it sounds like it could be interesting, even if it isn't "great" Wolfe.

> 
> From: "mournings glory" <mourningsglory at hotmail.com>
> Date: 2006/02/22 Wed PM 10:35:16 EST
> To: urth at lists.urth.net
> Subject: (urth) Embryonic Wolfe
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>