Subject: (urth) New to the list

From: Anjruu at aol.com <anjruu at aol.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 00:55:45 +0000

Hi. I just joined the list and I was saying hello. I've read Book of the  New 
Sun and the first half of Book of the Long Sun and was wondering what the  
spoiler policy was. 
 
-Anjruu
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: /pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20060403/67fd2685/attachment.html

---

From: Adam Thornton <adam at io.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 02:10:08 +0000

On Apr 3, 2006, at 7:55 PM, Anjruu at aol.com wrote:

> Hi. I just joined the list and I was saying hello. I've read Book  
> of the New Sun and the first half of Book of the Long Sun and was  
> wondering what the spoiler policy was.
>

"Beware," I think.

Most of the people here have read everything Gene Wolfe ever wrote,  
including grocery lists filched from his garbage can (Dude!  Remember  
March 12, 1992, when he wanted Reddi-Whip?  Those were the days!) ,  
and are not going to be circumspect about spoiling the books.

Adam

---

From: Matt DeLuca <straylightrise at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 02:21:55 +0000

Don't worry about spoilers on anything really. However if there is something
new that comes out kindly let us know if u are going to be spoiling anything

On 4/3/06, Adam Thornton <adam at io.com> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>

--
Matthew Ryan DeLuca
Cell: 973-600-5244
Email: straylightrise at gmail.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: /pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20060403/47b42b43/attachment.htm

---

From: mournings glory <mourningsglory at hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 03:29:45 +0000

Welcome aboard, Anjruu.

Feel free to post away, but please be aware that many of your questions 
about New/Long Sun may have already been addressed, so if you can, kindly 
check the archives first -- people who have new or interesting things to say 
about these works will always be welcomed here, I'd venture to say, but 
nOObs who haven't done their homework or want to cut to the front of the 
line are only dissing those of us who've paid their dues in more legitimate 
fashion.

Also try not to be too insulted or hurt if no one agrees with you; despite 
frequently leveled charges of heresy by various individuals (including me), 
there is no orthodoxy here.

msg

>From: Anjruu at aol.com
>Reply-To: The Urth Mailing List <urth at lists.urth.net>
>To: urth at urth.net
>Subject: (urth) New to the list
>Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:55:45 EDT
>

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:11:59 +0000

> Hi. I just joined the list and I was saying hello.

Welcome aboard.

> I've read Book of the New

Oh, usually abacination for a first offense.

Do you mean, "Do I need to be careful about posting spoily stuff?" or
"Do I need to worry that posts here will spoil things I haven't read?"

I'll assume both.

As Adam says, many -- I won't say "most" -- of the participants on this
list have read, if not Gene Wolfe's laundry lists, at least a huge proportion
of what's available by him, including hard-to-find stuff like his first, long
out-of-print-and-not-likely-to-be-reprinted-while-he's-alive-to-say-anything-
about-it novel, OPERATION ARES. So at times this list takes on the
feeling of a graduate seminar in Lupine fiction.

Yet, we have always had a share of "beginners," "noobs," or just plain
cool people who have just latched onto the Wonder That Is Gene Wolfe's
Fiction. (No personal heresy _here_, nossir.) Yes, you can search the
archives, but they're spotty, and the search function is not the best.
My experience is that folks here are actually pretty patient with new
members asking questions whose answers have been discussed to
death -- whether settled by general consensus, or unsettled and likely
to remain so for a very long time.

There is a kind of "core" set of theories that constitutes a sort of
orthodox Wolfeology, and a whole lot of speculations at the edges
of those theories, and then a bunch of theories that contradict
orthodox Wolfeology but have passionate adherents. Wait till you
read "Short Sun" and then ask about the trees. You'll see.

You certainly don't have to read and commit to memory every precious
word of Gene Wolfe's fiction to enjoy a stay on the Urth list. (I certainly
haven't hunted down all the obscure short stories, or even some of the
harder-to-find chapbooks and collections.)

*****

You know, folks, I think it's time this little list developed a kind of
Gene Wolfe FAQ.

--Dan'l

--
I do not fear Satan half so much as I fear those who fear him.
                        -- St Teresa of Avila
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer

---

From: tom at bitterman.net <tom at bitterman.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:08:56 +0000

> Oh, usually abacination for a first offense.

oh! oh!  can we use the brank?

enamel