Subject: (urth) Vulpine Talos

From: b sharp <bsharporflat at hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 11:46:50 +0000

Russell Wodell wrote-  "On a totally separate note: Has anyone else wondered 
why Wolfe has never
referred to the two most famous vulpine authors: Thomas Wolfe and Virginia 
Woolf?"

I'll use the gentle correction of lupine for vulpine to segue into another 
physical appearance topic:  Which BotNS characters have red hair and is 
there a connection?  I notice Roche, Dr. Talos, Jolenta, Fechin and Daria 
(and possibly Inire).

Roche's hair especially seems to get excessive attention throughout the text 
for such a minor character, notably in Severian's psilocybic dream in the 
hetman's house on Lake Diuturna.

Dr. Talos' fox-like features are also emphasized and I think Jolenta's hair 
color may be a mere reflection of his vanity.  Talos is a homunculus, 
created and grown by Baldanders but what was the original source of the 
cells (or fetus or whatever Baldanders used as source material)?

I plan to discuss the Inire-Fechin connection in a later post.

-bsharp