Subject: (urth) monsters

From: b sharp <bsharporflat at hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 18:55:54 +0000

Well, interesting. It seems there are at least two or three here who flout 
the naming convention that urth humans have saint names and aliens have 
mythological names in BotNS. So Typhon (hundred headed Greek demon), 
Baldanders (Borges growing giant) and presumably Talos (bronze man, foe of 
Jason) are humans in BotNS.

If so, are Abaia (meleanesian giant eel), Erebus (Greek darkness, son of 
Chaos), Arioch (Miltonian, Moorcockian demon), Scylla (Greek monster, foe of 
Odysseus) and others of the 17 megatherians also human or of human origin?

Anyway what are the names of the other 13?  Could we guess Uroburos? 
extrapolate to Charybdis? Hydra? Leviathan?  Moby Dick?  Sponge Bob?

*Okay, my last quiz didn't work out so well, perhaps this will, though it IS 
a toughie.  What color is Typhon's hair? (hint- to determine you'll need to 
glean and combine minor facts from both Sword and Urth)

-bsharp

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 19:53:16 +0000

Typhon's own hair? I'm pretty sure it's blond, contrasting
with Piaton's black. Unless I've reversed them.

On 5/18/06, b sharp <bsharporflat at hotmail.com> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>

-- 
I do not fear Satan half so much as I fear those who fear him.
                        -- St Teresa of Avila
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer

---

From: mournings glory <mourningsglory at hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 19:53:35 +0000

>Jason) are humans in BotNS.

I'm not sure the monster convention means those so named are aliens so much 
as non-human; at least that's the theory I favor.

>Anyway what are the names of the other 13?  Could we guess Uroburos?

Absolutely Uroboros: "I've heard that in the hot forests of the north, the 
Autarch of All Serpents is Uroboros, the brother of Abaia, and that hunters 
who discover his burrow believe they have found a tunnel under the sea, and 
descending it enter his mouth and all unknowing climb down his throat, so 
that they are dead while they still believe themselves living..."

Possible others include Juripari and Catodon and maybe the being Humbaba's 
Stick is named after, who's sort of a megatherian giant in the epic of 
Gilgamish.

msghee

---

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 20:22:24 +0000

>glean and combine minor facts from both Sword and Urth)

"Yellowish" is the term Severian uses, by which I assume he means blond.
This was old hat, even before the clone wars. I do hope you're not going
*there*. <g>

-Roy

---

From: b sharp <bsharporflat at hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 00:37:08 +0000

Okay the two eldest of the current posters win the quiz, Dan'l and Roy C. 
Lackey with answers of yellow and blonde.

>This was old hat, even before the clone wars. I do hope you're not going

Roy, you are more than 7 years old, why so snippy?  Especially toward a 
stripling of only a few weeks old like me.  Perhaps it is because you 
suspect I know your secret identity ;-).

Anyway I haven't seen any previous references to Typhon's hair in the 
archives but I'd be glad to be pointed to them.  I'd especially like to be 
directed to the "clone wars" assuming that isn't a Star Wars reference.

I'm also aghast (not really) at Roy, Jack Lyons, Alice Turner, Kieran Mullen 
and others 7 years ago for having an in depth discussion of Gilligan's 
Island in here and not noting the spot on physical ,  personality and 
vocational resemblance of Ginger to Jolenta. Hmph!

-bsharp

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 04:53:33 +0000

B,

The "clone wars" were a series of postings, some of them
quite heated, on a propounded theory that Silk was a clone
of Typhon, in itself not utterly imporobable, but then following
with a series of speculations that (for example) Auk was a
clone of ... uh, wossname, the god of darkness ... and eventually
incorporating characters from NS as possible clones of the
Goddam Family (snap, snap).

---

From: Georg Schönegger <g.schoenegger at aon.at>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 06:34:07 +0000

> extrapolate to Charybdis? Hydra? Leviathan?  Moby Dick?  Sponge Bob?

a possible candidate might be Jurupari, whose symbol/face Agia leaves on
the floor in front of Agilus' cell.

Georg