Subject: (urth) Sir Able is Tannhauser

From: BlackWilbo at cs.com <blackwilbo at cs.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 01:51:38 +0000

Surely I can't be the first to notice correspondences between Sir Able and 
Tannhauser?  Have misspelled a search , or something?

Black Wilbo
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: /pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20060518/7960c0fa/attachment.html

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 04:57:21 +0000

For those of us who aren't big opera fans, can you give us
an outline of Tannhauser?

On 5/18/06, BlackWilbo at cs.com <BlackWilbo at cs.com> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>
>

-- 
I do not fear Satan half so much as I fear those who fear him.
                        -- St Teresa of Avila
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer

---

From: maru dubshinki <marudubshinki at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 05:54:57 +0000

>>From the ever-redoubtable Wikipedia: "According to medieval German
legend, Tannh?user is a knight and poet who found the Venusburg, the
subterranean home of Venus, and spent a year there worshipping the
goddess. After leaving the Venusburg, Tannh?user is filled with
remorse, and travels to Rome to ask Pope Urban IV if it is possible to
be absolved of his sins. Urban replies that forgiveness is as
impossible as it would be for his papal staff to blossom. Three days
after Tannh?user's departure Urban's staff blooms with flowers;
messengers are sent to retrieve the knight, but he has already
returned to Venusburg, never to be seen again."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tannh%C3%A4user&oldid=52446220
Not our best article, to be sure, but serviceable for our purposes).

If I don't miss my guess, Wilbo is struck by the resemblance of a
knight spending time in fairy lands of some sort, returning obsessed
with honor and forgiveness and such-like, and eventually returning.

~maru