Subject: (urth) "Backs to the future"

From: James Machin <jfmachin at hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:02:10 +0000

The following article might be of interest to the list (for obvious 
reasons!)...

http://www.physorg.com/news69338070.html

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 04:33:40 +0000

> http://www.physorg.com/news69338070.html

I've seen this claimed for classical Attic cultures as well; IIRC as 
recently as "It's Greek to Me" (Paperback)
by Michael Macrone, Tom Lulevitch

-- 
Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >

---

From: Transentient <transentient at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 13:11:54 +0000

> by Michael Macrone, Tom Lulevitch

There has been a big resurgence of popularity of the Sapir-Whorf  
hypothesis among anthropology types lately.

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 04:53:12 +0000

> hypothesis among anthropology types lately. 

I think this is more in Skinner's area, myself. Certainly Greeks and 
Romans were conditioned to see the past as a place of glory and names 
forever remembered, with the future a mysterious, unseen place from 
which fate and misfortune could strike unforseen, as if stabbing from 
behind.

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 15:44:37 +0000

It makes perfect sense once you think of it.

We can see the past, and we cannot see the future. Might as well have our
backs to it.

josh

____

> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>