Subject: (urth) Old Urth vs. New Urth

From: Fred Kiesche <godel2escher2bach at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 22:33:25 +0000

I have "Urth" in the origina four-volume set from
Timescape (Pocket Books, those were the days!). Is
there any reason to get the new Tor/Orb omnibus
editions? Text that was excised put back in? Corrected
errors? Etc.

Thanks!

          Fred Kiesche (FPK3)
  
  My books are water; those of great geniuses are wine. Everybody drinks water. (Mark Twain, "Notebook")
Over 7,000 postings served! See The Eternal Golden Braid (http://theeternalgoldenbraid.blogspot.com/ ).

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: Dan Rabin <wolfe-lists at danrabin.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 13:52:36 +0000

Fred Kiesche asks:

>Greetings:

There are no significant divergences that I've ever noticed.  Some 
typos are corrected, some retained, some introduced perhaps.  The 
omnibus is missing the poetic epigram for _Citadel of the Autarch_ 
(Kipling, "At two-o'clock in the morning...").  I recall also that 
there's a spuriously repeated passage late in _Citadel_ in the 
original that's corrected in the Tor edition.

I haven't conducted a detailed comparison, but I have read the old 
paperbacks several times and have compared any text that strikes me 
as different while reading the Tor editions.  I made marginal pencil 
notes of thes (whether they turned out to be differences or not), and 
could flip through and list them if there's any demand.

You might also consider whether the physical state of your originals 
will sustain your intended level of future use.

   -- Dan Rabin