Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v009.n001

From: Tony Ellis <tony.ellis at futurenet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 10:05:06 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

02/04/98
                                                                      11:01
 RE>Digest urth.v009.n001

Robert Borski wrote:
> ...inferentially we may assume Number Five's
>name to be the male equivalent of Jeannine or Jean/Gene.

Doh!

>As for the "Wolfe" moiety, besides the library reference, Number Five
>remarks that his house is sometimes referred to as Maison du Chien and that
>this "may have been a reference to our surname as well." [ibid. pg 14].

Doh!
I'm so stupid. Thank you Robert. Thank you Damien. I think I must
have read Cerberus too early in life, to have such a blinkered view
of it now. I wonder what else I've missed?

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: Matthew Freestone <matthew at matthewf.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 12:40:10 +0000

>Gene Wolfe" as the narrator of Cerberus:
In "Strokes", Clute writes about a conversation between Wolfe and an SF
criticism class he was running:
(Student) ...could the narrator's name really be Gene Wolfe?
Gene glanced at the student in mild surprise. "Why of course," he said,
as though he were the last person in the world to have a secret.

I also seem to remember a passage (I don't have 5HC with me, so I can't
check) where the name of the house and the name of the narrator are
compared... something like that anyway.

--                              II         |\      _,,,---,,_
Matt Freestone                  II    zzz. /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_.
matthew at matthewf.demon.co.uk    II        |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
www.matthewf.demon.co.uk/       II       '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)