Subject: (urth) commentary?

From: Joel and Rachel <eleysium at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 01:51:51 +0000

Does anyone know if Wolfe has a commentary/journals/letters that will reveal
all when he dies? Or is he just going to leave everyone hanging?

Joel

---

From: b sharp <bsharporflat at hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:18:52 +0000

Joel asks:
>Does anyone know if Wolfe has a commentary/journals/letters that will 
>reveal all when he dies? Or >is he just going to leave everyone hanging?

I would like that (revelations) but I'm not encouraged by this Wolfe 
interview excerpt from Lawrence Person:

>LP: Final question! Homer, of course, is one of those writers whose work is 
>remembered, at least >in his case, thousands of years after his death. How 
>well do you think your own work will be >remembered?

>GW: Oh Lord! (long pause) Goodness sake. (pause) This is really, really a 
>mean question that >you're asking.

>LP: (laughs) That's why we put it last.

>GW: Well I'm glad you did. Uh, I don't know. Two or three hundred years, 
>possibly. It's very hard >to answer that without being either falsely 
>modest or braggadocios. I would guess, a couple, >three hundred years. 
>That's only a guess.

If Wolfe hopes to affect his readers 300 years hence in the same way he 
affects extant readers then I would guess he wouldn't want any extra 
revelations after his death.

-bsharp

---

From: Gregg <gwbest328 at epix.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 22:26:27 +0000

If Mr. Wolfe has a journal that reveals anything, much less everything, some
of the readers of this mailing list will believe that the journal is
something he devised to throw us off the trail of the real truth. I suggest
the contents of his brain must be downloaded to find the real meaning of his
writings.

Having typed that, though, I can believe that he has written notes among his
papers and his notes would be fascinating to read. Let's hope his will
doesn't stipulate the destruction of his notes. Still would need that brain
download to understand how it all fits together.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20060726/f51a34ad/attachment.htm

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 22:55:27 +0000

On 7/26/06, Gregg <gwbest328 at epix.net> wrote:
> something he devised to throw us off the trail of the real truth.

Ummm, I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't think Wolfe deliberately
misleads, just goes too far in not giving things away, something like a
reviewer so cautious about spoilers that she doesn't actually tell you
anything about the book/movie/whatever.

-- 
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer
"Shovels are essential to the fantasy genre.
However, they are primarily used by the authors rather than the
characters." -- Stephen R. Donaldson