Subject: (urth) What meaning does the family tree lend to the story itself?

From: Jonathon McKitrick <jcm at freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 20:57:57 +0000

I'm still at the point of figuring out the time traveling, the multiple Sev's
and so on, but once you understand that Sev becomes the "New Sun" and saves
Urth, what additional meaning is there to be extracted by understanding his
entire family tree?  And since that really cannot be done, apparently, without
confirmation from Mr. Wolfe himself, how can the true meaning of an
inscrutable family tree ever be known?

Jonathon McKitrick
--
My other computer is your Windows box.

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 20:49:37 +0000

> inscrutable family tree ever be known?

It may not be inscrutable; hopefully, some new meaning emerges that is 
obvious in retrospect if X and Y are related by Z, but wouldn't otherwise.

---

From: Bob Miller <bob_bageera at hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 10:39:56 +0000

While we all have fun niggling at the detailsand trying to read the mind of 
someone we, frequently, have not met, it often appears that part of the 
meaning IS in its being inscrutable, in the fact that this "fogginess"?, 
lack of clarity in and of themselves give us points of reference on the 
"map" of the author's meaningful design.  Possibly, because similar 
issues--the exact date of death, exact spelling of grandfather's name, which 
county born in--have embroiled many academics for thousands of pages and 
their readers for thousands of doses of dramamine.

I'm still at the point of figuring out the time traveling, the multiple 
Sev's
and so on, but once you understand that Sev becomes the "New Sun" and saves
Urth, what additional meaning is there to be extracted by understanding his
entire family tree?  And since that really cannot be done, apparently, 
without
confirmation from Mr. Wolfe himself, how can the true meaning of an
inscrutable family tree ever be known?

Jonathon McKitrick
--
My other computer is your Windows box.
_______________________________________________
Urth Mailing List
To post, write urth at urth.net
Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net

_________________________________________________________________
Got something to buy, sell or swap? Try Windows Live Expo  
ttp://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwex0010000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://expo.live.com/