Subject: (urth) People Interview?

From: Joel Priddy <jpriddy at saturn.vcu.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 14:02:41 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

Like an idiot, I missed the People interview. I was sitting on
the couch when it was going on thinking "A whole evening to
myself... what should I do with it? Maybe there's something good
on TV..." There wasn't, and I ended up cleaning the kitchen.
 Imagine the slap I gave myself the next morning when I realized
what I'd missed.
 So, figuring second-hand experience would just have to do, I
went over to the People page to read the transcript. But it
wasn't there. And these lists haven't been filled with excited
discussion in the interview's wake. Did it occur? Anyone have a
transcript?

-cephalothorax-

---

From: Jason Voegele <voegele.6 at osu.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 13:07:59 +0000

>discussion in the interview's wake. Did it occur? Anyone have a

LOL!  I did the very same thing!  (Well, I didn't clean the kitchen, but you
know what I mean.)

I haven't seen any sign of a transcript yet, but I'm hoping that it's just a
delay.  Even if People doesn't post the transcript, I'm sure some Wolfe fan
attended and--thinking of all us poor idiots--will post it on their web
page.  Let's keep our eyes open.

Jason

---

From: Doug Eigsti <douge at nti.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 07:45:49 +0000

> discussion in the interview's wake. Did it occur? Anyone have a
cephalothorax,

	I tried to join the People chat but the "ichat" plug-in software kept 
crashing on me. The following day their chat system was down. I don't 
know if it went off as planned. Anyone have more details?

	I, too, have noticed the dearth of discussion since the "Lupine" 
Express left the station, (from the Whorl list). This may indicate that we
don't know what we should think about Wolfe's fiction pending his answers,
even though we had plenty of opinions before. Shouldn't a work of fiction
stand on the content of the text alone and not on the opinion of critics,
fans, or even the author? Regardless of the intent, a novel is just that,
a novel, anything additional is just commentary. In joke telling, it
spoils the fun if it has to be explained. Don't expect Wolfe to give away
any punch lines. Note:  This did not hinder me from buying a ticket on the
train. I want to know the answers as much as anyone. 

=Talon=