Subject: (urth) Longevity in the Commonwealth

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 00:01:08 +0000

The question was asked, how we could tell how long an Autarch might
live with alien medicine et al.

The short answer is, we can't...

...but...

...I think that even the highest classes in the Commonwealth don't live
much longer than a modern-day First World citizen.

My argument is primarily thematic -- the great sin of both Typhon and
Baldanders is artificially extending their lives (by, admittedly, evil and
forbidden[?] methods, but if other methods were available ... well, you
know). It seems to me that the Autarchs, whose position was created in
reaction to Typhon, and whose purpose is to prepare for the coming
of the New Sun, would not be likely to commit that particular sin.

One bit of supporting textual evidence ... we know that the cacogens
Severian hangs with have _shorter_ lives than humans. Therefore I
suggest that they would not be a likely source of life extension
technology for humans.

-- 
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer
"Shovels are essential to the fantasy genre.
However, they are primarily used by the authors rather than the
characters." -- Stephen R. Donaldson

---

From: b sharp <bsharporflat at hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:48:45 +0000

Dan'l writes:

>the great sin of both Typhon and Baldanders is artificially extending their 
>lives (by, admittedly, evil >and forbidden[?] methods.

And the only sin greater than the Original Sin of eating fruit from the tree 
of Knowledge (of Good and Evil) would be to eat fruit from the Tree of Life 
thus throwing away God's gift to us of mortality?

-bsharp

p.s. Me three on Paeon as aquastor to Malrubius