Subject: (urth) Funding

From: Chris Mulder <chris_mulder at sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 03:27:31 +0000

Greetings,
   
       I am an avid Wolfe reader, and am just beginning RttW, so no spoilers yet for me!  Anyway, I would be interested in helping to compile a glossary/reference work or help in any way on a close read.  I recently purchased Lexicon Urthus off ebay and while it is quite good, I was hoping a secord try might run a bit deeper (without turning into the OED) and span New Sun, Long Sun and Short Sun, plus related shorts.
   
       Obviously, it is a big job, and won't be completed anytime soon, but it could be made much easier by numbers of readers, enthusiasm, and the web.  I would be willing to help fund it, as well.  What I would be interested to know is what an annual cost might be, plus interest level of contributors.  Also, I wouldn't want to run afoul of other copyright holders.
   
       By the way, I have been following everyone's comments for months, and have even fought through many of the old posts back to the beginning.  Reading different perspectives has really helped me come to enjoy the whole much more deeply.  It's just amazing what each individual hits upon as being important, while others (usually me) miss it entirely.  Thanks to all of you for that.
   
  cm  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20060905/9864e122/attachment.htm

---

From: Jon Capps <jon at joncapps.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 11:21:45 +0000

Chris Mulder wrote:

> the web.  I would be willing to help fund it, as well.  What I would be 
> interested to know is what an annual cost might be, plus interest level 
> of contributors.

Well, I could host a wiki at no additional cost to myself, and am online 
regularly enough to admin it (but would gladly give a few list regulars 
admin/moderator authority).  The only real financial cost would come 
from getting the domain name, and that would be ~$10/year, give or take, 
depending on the registrar used.  Domains can be registered for more 
than one year at a time, so it also depends on how long you want to go 
before having to renew it.

If I had a job and were making real money, then this wouldn't be an 
issue ;)  However, since I'm struggling to return to the workforce after 
a prolonged temp disability, I'm rather indefinitely strapped for extra 
cash.

But don't go throwing money around just yet.  If it is acceptable to 
have something like urthwiki.joncapps.net or wikki.urth.net instead of 
something like www.urthwiki.net, then no one needs to shell out anything.

But I'm not really interested in doing anything unless the list decised 
it wants it.  I just saw the bait and bit the hook.  Now it's up to the 
list to reel me in ;)

jon

---

From: Adrian Robert <arobert at cogsci.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 12:23:24 +0000

On Sep 6, 2006, at 7:21 AM, Jon Capps wrote:

> ...

I for one would prefer wiki.urth.net.  Better to keep everything in one 
place. ;-)
Of course, that decision also depends on the administrator of urth.net.

Were all of the other issues (software, license, ability to import 
material) hashed out?