Subject: (urth) Dr Talos

From: b sharp <bsharporflat at hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 10:45:31 +0000

Dan'l writes about Talos:

>He has surpassed his maker in some significant ways; this might itself be 
>something of
>a "theme" in tBotNS, given the history of the Hiero-foos. But when he 
>deliberately evokes >Frankenstein, I'm forcefully reminded of the most 
>chilling line in Shelley's book: "You are my >creator, but I am your 
>master. Obey!"

Ah, so you are thinking the Baldanders-Talos relationship mirrors the 
humanity-Hierogrammate relationship? That's a pretty insightful thought and 
I don't think I've ever seen it hinted at before.

um...Hiero-fools?

-bsharp

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 01:40:16 +0000

On 9/7/06, b sharp <bsharporflat at hotmail.com> wrote:

> humanity-Hierogrammate relationship?

Actually, no, I hadn't thought of it that way; just the idea of a
made thing becoming in some way greater than its maker ...
the desire to do which is, itself, pretty much the ur-sin.  But
Talos and the HieroXs don't _seek_ to surpass their makers;
it just happens.

> um...Hiero-fools?

No, Hiero-Foos, where "foo" is a sort of generic variable
name from (my generation of) computer science students.
If you need two, the second one is either "bar" or "baz,"
depending on whether you went to Berkeley or Stanford 8*)
-- 
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer
http://www.danehyoakes.com
I've got a piece of braaaaain lodge in me heeead!!!

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 02:51:29 +0000

> I don't think I've ever seen it hinted at before.

I believe Dan'l is employing a metasyntactic variable here, rather than 
making a typo. The "higher" beings are much too manipulative to be 
considered holy fools.