Subject: (urth) Close Reading: Torturer Chapter 1

From: Jack Redelfs <jackredelfs at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 04:51:41 +0000

> I can't help but wonder why Severian was called in to assist with the
>Revolutionary given his pre-existing relationship with Thecla, which even
were it
 >not intimate was certainly close enough to create a clear conflict of
interest in
>the client/torturer relationship

The masters well knew about Severian's relationship with Thecla, in general
if not in detail. I think they required him to torture Thecla to, shall we
say "break him," or disillusion him of ever becoming close to a client
again. I don't think they could of foreseen that he would have slipped her a
kitchen knife, as indeed Severian seemed surprised himself. I think the
masters trusted that in the end Severian's loyalty to the guild would win
over whatever inner conflict he felt. He was indeed loyal to the guild — it
was the only home or family he had ever known.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20060907/72c0502f/attachment.htm

---

From: Daniel D Jones <ddjones at riddlemaster.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 19:51:43 +0000

On Friday 08 September 2006 00:51, Jack Redelfs wrote:
> again. I don't think they could of foreseen that he would have slipped her
> a kitchen knife, as indeed Severian seemed surprised himself. I think the

Or perhaps it was a test to SEE if his loyalty to the guild would hold.  If he 
got through this, he could be trusted with anything.  If not, then he 
obviously wasn't cut out for a life in the guild, and the guild found this 
out early rather than late.

---

From: David Duffy <david.duffy at qimr.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 21:45:53 +0000

Not actually in Chapter 1, and previously discussed on the list -- the
epigram.  Severian is the watchman holding the shortest watch?

The pistol as a theme or symbol: something so precious, uncommon and
completely destructive.  (Later, bringing in VanVogtian descriptions of
ravening energies ;))  Giving a pistol to another to care for the woman
you love.

David Duffy.

---

From: Chris Mulder <chris_mulder at sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 04:02:32 +0000

Daniel D Jones <ddjones at riddlemaster.org> wrote:    
   
  I agree with Jones' analysis.  Thecla was a test for Severian, which he failed.
   
  cm
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20060908/2faee30d/attachment.htm