Subject: (urth) urth - collectibles

From: don doggett <kingwukong at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 23:59:39 +0000

Hey y'all,

Does anyone know anything about a set of Shadow of the
Torturer comics? There's a set of 3 on ebay for three
bucks plus $5 s&h. I don't think I want them (they
look a little Sev as Conan) but I was curious if
anyone knew the history. Btw, having loaned out my
paperback copies of NS (mistake, mistake, mistake) I
have restored my set with first edition first printing
hardcovers. The covers of the first two are gorgeous.
I was only nine or ten when shadow of the torturer
came out (that was even pre Lord of the Rings for me)
so I'm looking forward to savoring them. Maybe I'll
buy some cheap mass markets as reference copies.

take care

Don

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: Dave Lebling <dlebling at hyraxes.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 15:32:03 +0000

They're actually a pretty decent adaptation, not Conanish at all. I have 
read (and own) the first two, which take the story up to the death of 
Thecla.

Dave Lebling, aka vizcacha

don doggett wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>
>

---

From: don doggett <kingwukong at yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 20:54:53 +0000

Dave Lebling <dlebling at hyraxes.com> wrote: They're actually a pretty decent adaptation, not Conanish at all. I have 
read (and own) the first two, which take the story up to the death of 
Thecla.

That's good to know. Maybe someday I'll check them out. They're not very expensive. I did a little looking into it on my own and I guess it was a projected six volume adaptation that was cancelled after issue three. Alas, it was a victim of the 90's comic bust. The guy who does Gloom Cookie drew it. 

Don

---------------------------------
 All-new Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20060923/41cab60a/attachment.htm

---

From: Scott K <scott at skatemonk.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 02:15:06 +0000

I have the first three issues of that, and they are a very good attempt 
at adaptation, for one of those stories that would be so haard to adapt 
truly as to be almost impossible (like they used to say about a LOTR 
movie!), but I think it was adapted with Mr. Wolfe's help, or at least 
approval. Only the covers have that flashy style that looks more Conan. 
Unfortunately the publisher went out of business before the series 
could get any farther. I was able to get a colored page of original 
artwork from one of them from the artist a year or so ago. It details 
the finding of Triskele. My favorite sequences from the comic was 
Ultan's library and the giant undine.
-Scott K.