Subject: (urth) Soldier Series

From: Powell .... <just_like_powell at hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 21:10:00 +0000

I'm 11 chapters through Sidon and am desperate to know if there will be 
further Latro books. Does anybody know? Is there a fanclub we can join to 
keep up to date with the works of the legend himself, Mr. Gene Wolfe?

I'm new to this list so sorry if this has been answered already.

_________________________________________________________________
Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free! 
http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/?locale=en-gb

---

From: Rex Lycanthrosaurus <lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 21:56:46 +0000

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 21:10:00 +0000, "Powell ...."
> keep up to date with the works of the legend himself, Mr. Gene Wolfe?

The ARC of _Sidon_ includes the following sentence on the back cover:
"At last we have a new [Latro] book, and Wolfe promises more in the
future."

Our understanding here in the list (about as close to a fanclub as
you're likely to get) is that he will start writing Latro IV once he's
done with his pirate novel.

As for Latro's V and VI, or beyond, who knows?
-- 
  Rex Lycanthrosaurus
  lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm

-- 
http://www.fastmail.fm - The professional email service

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:56:40 +0000

Wolfe told me in 2002 that his original plan was to write a whole bunch of
'Soldier' books, but that after the second, his publisher told him there
was no market for them. But by 2002 his publisher had changed his mind
about that, and he promised 'Sidon' after WK was done (which happened).

I imagine he will go back to his original plan.

.

___

> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>

---

From: Matthew DeLuca <deluca22 at tcnj.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 18:01:30 +0000

The Soldier books could go on for a while, I'm personally waiting for  
Latro's return to Italy

On Nov 20, 2006, at 12:56 PM, brunians at brunians.org wrote:

>>> further Latro books. Does anybody know? Is there a fanclub we can  
>>> join
>>> to

---

From: Theresa Flemming <evacuate55 at hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 04:16:37 +0000

Can anyone tell me if the new volume holds to the original atmosphere of 
'Soldier of the Mist'? It had the diffuse, dreamlike quality that one would 
assume an amnesiac/seer might know....I am curious as to whether the newer 
works on Latro maintain that subtle layer of energy.

Apologies if this has been asked/answered already or quite often- I am new 
to this list.....

>From: Matthew DeLuca <deluca22 at tcnj.edu>
>Reply-To: The Urth Mailing List <urth at lists.urth.net>
>To: The Urth Mailing List <urth at lists.urth.net>
>Subject: Re: (urth) Soldier Series
>Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:01:30 -0500
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get free, personalized commercial-free online radio with MSN Radio powered 
by Pandora http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001

---

From: Dan Rabin <wolfe-lists at danrabin.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 07:04:14 +0000

Theresa Flemming asks,

>works on Latro maintain that subtle layer of energy.

Even better, in my opinion. Egypt and the lands to the south have 
some _very_ charismatic gods for Latro to see and chat with, but he 
still has to meet his companions anew every day and re-read the 
scroll.  He still feels like the same character to me after 17 years 
in storage.

   -- Dan Rabin

---

From: Matthew DeLuca <deluca22 at tcnj.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 07:05:14 +0000

> scroll.  He still feels like the same character to me after 17 years

Less complex read tho, no need to read the same sentence over and  
over and over and over. Cooler gods too

---

From: Bob Miller <bob_bageera at hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:19:50 +0000

From: "Theresa Flemming" <evacuate55 at hotmail.com>
Reply-To: The Urth Mailing List <urth at lists.urth.net>
To: urth at lists.urth.net
Subject: Re: (urth) Soldier Series
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 22:16:37 -0600

Teresa,

It is my opinion that Wolfe did maintain the same atmosphere of "aware 
dream" in Soldier of Sidon.  I confess I personally wanted more in the 
volume, but like with other things of his I've been not immediately pleased 
with, the book keeps coming back in my mind--scenes attitudes comments.

_________________________________________________________________
All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC. Get a free 90-day trial! 
http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwlo0050000002msn/direct/01/?href=http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwlo0050000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.windowsonecare.com/?sc_cid=msn_hotmail

---

From: Rex Lycanthrosaurus <lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 05:35:31 +0000

Sadly, Latro IV does not seem to be on the docket, but Wolfe's next two
novels sound, uh, interesting.

For details, see:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=5&id=40135
-- 
  Rex Lycanthrosaurus
  lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm

-- 
http://www.fastmail.fm - One of many happy users:
  http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html

---

From: Nils Göransson <nils.goransson at skatteverket.se>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 06:01:21 +0000

The two projects the article is referring to are novellas, I think.
The only book they are discussing is 'Pirates Freedom', after that no one 
knows yet...

But, let’s face it, anything that comes out of Wolfes pen will be read by 
us!

H?lsningar,

                              NissE

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of 
thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein

---

From: Mike Myers <mimyerspdt at yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:56:25 +0000

I'm hoping pirate-boy is not a naive, 18-year-old, first person narrator who has lost his memory.

Rex Lycanthrosaurus <lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm> wrote:  Sadly, Latro IV does not seem to be on the docket, but Wolfe's next two
novels sound, uh, interesting.

For details, see:

 
---------------------------------
Don't get soaked.  Take a quick peak at the forecast 
 with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20070228/bb9b715f/attachment.htm