Subject: (urth) New BotNS cover design

From: Jesper Svedberg <jsvedberg at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 17:33:03 +0000

Irene Gallo, art director at Tor, just posted the new design for the 
next reprint of _Shadow & Claw_ and _Sword & Citadell_ on her blog. 
They'll still use the Don Maitz art, but the design and typography looks 
a bit more restrained.
See it here:

http://igallo.blogspot.com/2006/11/facelifts.html

   // Jesper

---

From: Matthew DeLuca <deluca22 at tcnj.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 23:03:11 +0000

On Nov 23, 2006, at 12:33 PM, Jesper Svedberg wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net

Not bad, looks tight

---

From: nastler <nastler at yahoo.dk>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 08:51:23 +0000

I much prefer the Hungarian cover...

http://tinyurl.com/y5uo48

nastler

> http://igallo.blogspot.com/2006/11/facelifts.html

__________________________________________________________ 
Alt i ?n. F? Yahoo! Mail med adressekartotek, kalender og
notesblok. http://dk.mail.yahoo.com

---

From: James Machin <jfmachin at hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 10:14:17 +0000

I really hope to see a decently design edition of BotNS one day - one that 
doesn't rely on pulpy fantasy action scenes. I think the Don Maitz art is 
pretty naf and the Fantasy Masterworks ed is hardly better. The Arrow eds. 
cover art was much much better IMHO, but what I think would be great would 
be something along the lines of a good Penguin cover design - my personal 
choice would be something more abstract, or maybe something involving the 
moon landing painting hanging jarringly on a mediaeval wall.

_________________________________________________________________
Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free! 
http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/?locale=en-gb

---

From: Jesper Svedberg <jsvedberg at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 14:55:55 +0000

James Machin skrev:
> I really hope to see a decently design edition of BotNS one day - one 
> that doesn't rely on pulpy fantasy action scenes. I think the Don Maitz 
> art is pretty naf and the Fantasy Masterworks ed is hardly better. The 
> Arrow eds. cover art was much much better IMHO, but what I think would 
> be great would be something along the lines of a good Penguin cover 
> design - my personal choice would be something more abstract, or maybe 
> something involving the moon landing painting hanging jarringly on a 
> mediaeval wall.

But BotNS is pulpy! It's just that it's really, really well written pulp.
The best BotNS cover is still the old British cover for The Shadow of 
the Torturer by Bruce Pennington: 
http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~ajellis/images/shadow.JPG

The cover for the Swedish edition of Shadow & Claw is nice too, and 
pretty classy as well.
http://home.student.uu.se/jesv8435/wolfe_dnsb1.jpg

(The Fantasy Masterworks covers are truly awful though.)

   // Jesper