Subject: (urth) Confussion about Sev/Pas/Silk/Typhon/Able

From: Michael Dale <undergod_13 at hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 05:37:53 +0000

I have read through the archive since its begining (only reading the 
articles that appeard appealing which was about 1/10 of them) which took me 
about oh... 5 hours.

Now here are some questions about some theories I read, and current theories 
that I want put to rest:

1) Who exactly is the father and mother of Severain?
    - Is he a clone of Typhon (I doubt it)
    - Its a better bet that he is a child of one of the Masters of the Order 
for Truth and Penance
    - My favorite theory is that by the time he starts writting tBotNS that 
his memory has utterly been decimated by having multiple personaliites and 
the memories of countless Autarchs crammed into his head... and thus what he 
can remember of his past is a mixture of all the Autarchs memories 
(expecially about his childhood)... which would explain why his memory of 
his childhood is actually very similar to Ymar the first Autarch. This is 
also the least plausable

Next question

2) What exactly is special about Silk's DNA?
    - Is he a clone of Typhon
    - Is he a clone of Severain (Silk is a member of the Order for Truth and 
Penance... and Typhon did have access to Severain's DNA after his guards 
roughed him up some...)
    - Maybe he is just genetically supperior... Perhaps Tussah could have 
left a better hint... if only his will had said "I want this kid that I 
found in a test tube labelled [Prophet/Conciliator that Escaped Typhon's 
Palace]"

It wouldn't be too far fetched to assume that Typhon added Severain to the 
list of embrios after being impressed with his disappearing act.

Next Question

3) Remora once talks to Queztal about the Garden of Eve it seems... how far 
into the future is it when the Whorl is launched?  Exactly what major 
catastrophes have happend before then (poles flipped... flooding... sun 
death)

Final Question (from The Wizard)

4) Able's dreams are from people that are dying... is he really just a 
creation of the Aelf that took hold of the first death dream it had from 
Parkas String?

Now to respond to some things I read:

1) Why did Typhon make then Whorl with STL tech (which it clearly is seeing 
that it slowly is leaving viewable sight at the end of tBotSS) when he 
should have FTL travel (IE Heiroducle and the fact that he has an 
intergalactic empire in his days)

I can think of three easy solutions to this

A) The Whorl is simply too big to use FTL drives with the ammount of energy 
avaliable

B) Typhon did not build the Heiroducle (sp) nor any other ships he might 
possess with FTL capabilites... rather he aquired them by trading with 
Caogens (not necissarily any even spoken of in the book although the names 
of the ships suggest it)...

C) I know when I am Empire of my universe I am not going to allow my 
colonies to learn the secrets of FTL drives by reverse engineering my 
spaceships! Thus leading towards their independance allowing them to develop 
together along with spawning more colonies... eventually leading to a 
rebellion and my ousting as a leader.

2) Why are no Chems around in Severain's day, and even in Typhons day?  Why 
didn't Typhon just download into one?

I would imagine androids are fairly rare outside of military installations 
and government centers in the days of Typhon.  Typhon would never download 
into an android since that would be the end of his OWN existance... just 
imagine that if I was to say you can live forever as a simulation on your 
computer... but you have to die right now... I bet you wouldnt like that 
solution.  Why are Typhons Guards human?  Perhaps just a carry over of 
tradition... or just a symbol of power... nastagia... so on

However if I was Typhon I would just clone myself, lob off New Typhons head 
and tie myself right on (of course in a very complex surgury)... however is 
the body that important too you?  Expecially since Typhon was probably just 
some Nerdy kid body before?  Why not just get a strong guy and take over his 
body?  Seems reasonable... except I would have gone for a martial artist... 
heck ya Bruce Lee...

_________________________________________________________________
View Athlete’s Collections with Live Search 
http://sportmaps.live.com/index.html?source=hmemailtaglinenov06&FORM=MGAC01

---

From: ALEX GREENBERG <agreenberg at btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 00:00:14 +0000

I've always felt there was a hint of "Thomas Covenant morbidity" in Able - especially the ambulance dream.  
   
  Doesn't answer your question, but anyway.

Michael Dale <undergod_13 at hotmail.com> wrote:
  I have read through the archive since its begining (only reading the 
articles that appeard appealing which was about 1/10 of them) which took me 
about oh... 5 hours.

Next question

Next Question

_______________________________________________
Urth Mailing List
To post, write urth at urth.net
Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20061130/f2a1e3e1/attachment.htm

---

From: aramini1 at cox.net <aramini1 at cox.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 04:54:06 +0000

I won't go into many of your questions, but I am confident Silk is Typhon's biological son, with Kypris/Mamelta his mother.  In the tunnels, he vows he won't sleep until his mother comes.  Than he runs into Mamelta and awakens her.  There are only a few characters in the text with blue eyes.  Mamelta, Kypris' image, and Silk are the important ones.  There are several other hints that Mamelta is the original Kypris, w hich I posted long ago here somewhere.

One of the most bizarre scenes in the book involves Silk catching a glimpse of mamelta's genitals as she scales the ladder, then he thinks about mankind's origin among the stars.  Whether he is a clone or not, I'd need to re-read long sun with that in mind.
  
What blows my mind is why Severian's face can be found in Typhon's tomb where he lays Scylla to rest, if indeed that is the tomb he plays in during his youth in Shadow of the torturer.  I can't figure out his relationship to Typhon, but certainly the light hair of silk and the dark hair of severian preclude them from being closer than brothers genetically (ie - they aren't clones of each other).

Marc Aramini

---

From: aramini1 at cox.net <aramini1 at cox.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 04:59:24 +0000

> body?  Seems reasonable... except I would have gone for a martial artist... 

Incidentally, on a non-gene tangent, Bruce Lee was my Halloween outfit this year due to some similarities in size and physique.  check it out if you're a Bruce fan and tell me what you think.

http://myspace-269.vo.llnwd.net/01353/96/22/1353372269_l.jpg

marc aramini