Subject: (urth) Pirate Freedom: first glimpse

From: Nicholas Gevers <vermoulian at yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 09:55:29 +0000

My Advance Bound Manuscript of PIRATE FREEDOM just
arrived. In an odd squarish format, typescript, 473
pages, which I estimate at 300 or so regular printed
pages. Dedication to sundry pirates and writers on
piracy; epigraph by H L Mencken. Glossary at the end
has the usual personal and place names. 

The protagonist is Chris, later Father Christopher.

--Nick Gevers.

___________________________________________________________ 
What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Yahoo! Mail Championship. 
http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk

---

From: Steve Taylor <steve.taylor at majitek.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 22:29:06 +0000

Nicholas Gevers wrote:
> epigraph by H L Mencken.

That's nice to see - Mencken, Orwell and Dorothy Parker have always 
formed a sort of holy trinity for me.

Somehow I can't see Wolfe using an epigraph by Dorothy Parker though.

                                                   Steve

---

From: Matthew DeLuca <deluca22 at tcnj.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 22:02:16 +0000

1) Trust the text implicitly. The answers are in there.

2) Do not trust the text farther than you can throw it, if that far.  
It's tricksy and desperate stuff, and it may go off in your hand at  
any time.

3) Reread. It's better the second time. It will be even better the  
third time. And anyway, the books will subtly reshape themselves  
while you are away from them.Peace really was a gentle Midwestern  
memoir the first time I read it. It only became a horror novel on the  
second or the third reading.

4) There are wolves in there, prowling behind the words. Sometimes  
they come out in the pages. Sometimes they wait until you close the  
book. The musky wolf-smell can sometimes be masked by the aromatic  
scent of rosemary. Understand, these are not today-wolves, slinking  
grayly in packs through deserted places. These are the dire-wolves of  
old, huge and solitary wolves that could stand their ground against  
grizzlies.

5) Reading Gene Wolfe is dangerous work. It's a knife-throwing act,  
and like all good knife-throwing acts, you may lose fingers, toes,  
earlobes or eyes in the process. Gene doesn't mind. Gene is throwing  
the knives.

6) Make yourself comfortable. Pour a pot of tea. Hang up a DO NOT  
DISTURB Sign. Start at Page One.

7) There are two kinds of clever writer. The ones that point out how  
clever they are, and the ones who see no need to point out how clever  
they are. Gene Wolfe is of the second kind, and the intelligence is  
less important than the tale. He is not smart to make you feel  
stupid. He is smart to make you smart as well.

8) He was there. He saw it happen. He knows whose reflection they saw  
in the mirror that night.

9) Be willing to learn.

- Neil Gaiman

http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/2007/gwng0704.htm

---

From: Mark Lewin <mark.lewin at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 07:27:25 +0000

... and here are two other authors' suggestions on how to read GW from the
same magazine (Fantasy & SF):

Michael Swanwick: http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/2007/gwms0704.htm

Michael Andre-Driussi: http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/2007/gwma0704.htm

Mark

On 02/03/07, Matthew DeLuca <deluca22 at tcnj.edu> wrote:
>   How to read Gene Wolfe:
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20070303/992d3d41/attachment.htm