Subject: (urth) Severian raising the the uhlan, Zama

From: Maclean Jessica <jessica.maclean at nzpost.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 21:36:59 +0000

Hello all

As a new member, I apologise if this subject is old hat- I did trawl
through the archives but couldn't find a reference. I was thinking about
Severian resurrecting the uhlan, Zama, and Miles. It seems to me that
when Severian raises the dead he is recreating the person in his mind
somehow- therefore when he resurrects Zama and the uhlan, because he
doesn't know anything about them, they do not appear to know much about
themselves. 

When Sev raises Miles, he had Jonas in his mind at the time... which I
think allowed Jonas to hitch a ride, as it were.

Also, regarding Dr Talos's play "Eschatology and Genesis" - the title is
a direct reference to the Bible, which starts with Genesis and ends in
Revelations (which is a form of eschatology). To me it suggests that the
Bible itself could be started with Revelations (the eschatology) first,
then on to Genesis and the start of the next cycle, which is an
interesting take. Of course Wolfe is too clever to merely incorporate
one "world's beginning" tradition hence the incorporation of the
Sumerian and Persian elements. I wonder if this is Wolfe's way of saying
that all those legends, myths etc are different versions of the same
event...

Thoughts, comments? :-) 

________________________________________ 
Jessica Maclean 
Customer Liaison 
New Zealand Post 
________________________________________ 
Tel: 0800 100 318 Fax: 0800 100 319
e-mail: jessica.maclean at nzpost.co.nz 
customerliaison@ <www.nzpost.co.nz > nzpost.co.nz 
_______________________________________ 
Winners of GOLD at the coveted CRM Contact Centre Awards 2006

Smile, life is good! 
This email with any attachments is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.  
If it is not intended for you please reply immediately, destroy it and do not copy, disclose or use it in any way. 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20070423/b230ad02/attachment.htm

---

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 05:54:08 +0000

Welcome, Jessica.

themselves. <<

The confusion exhibited by newly revivified persons has been termed
"resurrection shock" by someone, probably mantis. Severian himself
experienced it at the Sanguinary Field when he apparently brought himself
back from what should have been death by avern. That's why he had to have
Dorcas tell him what happened after he was struck, despite his famous
memory. The loss of identity seems to be temporary, however; Dorcas began
recovering her memories over the next few months.

Dorcas herself is an exception to the theory that Sev consciously influences
the person he revives. Sev didn't even know he had revived her until after
the fact. Triskele likewise.

>>When Sev raises Miles, he had Jonas in his mind at the time... which I
think allowed Jonas to hitch a ride, as it were.<<

I've argued the same before, and I believe others have, too. Another special
case where Sev may have exerted an unconscious but definite influence is the
dead assassin who then killed Valeria, as I argued a couple years ago.

-Roy

---

From: Michael Dale <undergod_13 at hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 06:12:19 +0000

As for Miles and Jonas...

The way I see it is that Miles in the near future is recruited to work on a 
space faring ship... one that might be a bit framilar as in tBotNS, if not 
that ship itself...

Something happens to this ship in the distant future/past while Miles is on 
it and it crashes and/or malfunctions forcing the Cyborg Jonas to aquire 
biological parts until a more sutable replacement is avaliable.  Miles a 
dead crewmate just so happened to be avaliable.

Thus... I do think Jonas took on a part of Miles when he did this... not the 
other way around...

Perhaps the interactions Severain makes with Miles... actually effects 
Jonas's behavior...

Otherwise the rest of the confussion is due to ressurection shock as stated 
before.

-Michael

>dead assassin who then killed Valeria, as I argued a couple years ago.

_________________________________________________________________
Watch free concerts with Pink, Rod Stewart, Oasis and more. Visit MSN In 
Concert today. http://music.msn.com/presents?icid=ncmsnpresentstagline