Subject: (urth) Good advice from Alan Moore

From: Joe Smulkstis <jismulkstis at nyc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 11:38:32 +0000

Daniel quoted Alan Moore re "Watchmen":

"After several months of this, Moore said, in another interview,
that, while everything in the comic meant something, not
everything meant *much*."

I love this discussion group but I think there are times when everyone 
should
take those words to heart.

Daniel, I noticed the (slightly wrong) quote from Zappa's "Evelyn, a 
Modified Dog".
I'm a little surprised that a Catholic (which I was raised as, I'm now 
agnostic)
would be a Zappa fan, but as a feminist and a Zappa fan I guess I shouldn't 
be.

I'm curious as to whether Wolfe's audience is more religious in general
than your average SF reader.

Muskrat

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 18:43:56 +0000

On 6/7/07, Joe Smulkstis <jismulkstis at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> Daniel,

It's Dan'l. Honest.

> I noticed the (slightly wrong) quote from Zappa's "Evelyn, a Modified Dog".

? How did I blow it? At any rate, a favorite song from a favorite album.

> I'm a little surprised that a Catholic (which I was raised as, I'm now agnostic)

Have been since first hearing "Billy the Mountain" in my freshman year of
collitch. And I'm a RC, a Zappa fan -- a fan of "progressive" music in general
-- *and* as much of a "feminist" as a man can reasonably be. (I worry about
appropriating the term, blablablah.) Not to mention an existentialist,
a humanist,
a Taoist, and a skeptic. I am large (or at least overweight); I
contain multitudes.

> than your average SF reader.

Not in my experience... I think that religious SF readers may be slightly more
attracted to Wolfe, but not by a huge margin; and certainly quite a few of
the listmembers here (which I take as about as paradigmatic a grouping of
Lupines as you'll get) are non-religious.

-- 
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer
http://www.danehyoakes.com
Soon, where Toon Town once stood will be a string of gas stations,
inexpensive motels, restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food. Tire
salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards
reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful.

---

From: Daniel D Jones <ddjones at riddlemaster.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 22:16:11 +0000

> take those words to heart.

I've made the same point a couple of times in the past.  A big part of 
interpreting Wolfe is knowing when to stop.

> would be a Zappa fan, but as a feminist and a Zappa fan I guess I shouldn't

I'm neither feminist nor misogynist (I respond to and judge people based on 
their actions, not their sex, and vehemently uphold equal treatment under the 
law, but I think radical feminist cross the border into misandry, or perhaps 
simply misanthropy.)  I'm also a huge Zappa fan.

> than your average SF reader.

But certainly not religious.  I put the probability of the existence of God as 
slightly behind the Easter bunny but slightly ahead of Santa Claus.  (There's 
just something about visiting all those houses in ONE night that really 
raises my skeptical hackles.  I have _serious_ doubts about Ol' Saint Nick.)

---

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 07:27:24 +0000

>raises my skeptical hackles.  I have _serious_ doubts about Ol' Saint
Nick.)

Funny, that parenthetical part was part of an argument I made here years ago
concerning who switched the Christmas gifts at Den's maternal grandfather's
house. There's no way Santa had time to make two trips to the same house
that night.

-Roy