Subject: (urth) caves

From: Solomon, Joshua <j.a.solomon at city.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 09:15:24 +0000

just adding to the list of caves...
doesn't someone wind up living in one at the end of the changeling?
either the changeling himself or the narrator?
it's on an island and there are three pretend swords upside-down in the
ground outside...like the three crosses in paintings of cavalry/golgotha.
bee
-- 
Joshua A. Solomon
http://www.staff.city.ac.uk/~solomon

---

From: Nigel Price <nigelprice at onetel.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 12:26:51 +0000

Hm... I seem to have lost the knack of posting on this list. This is my
third attempt. Nothing seems to have happened so far, but apologies all
round if I've actually posted this three times without realising it. If that
is the case, by the way, someone please message and me and tell me to cease
and desist!

Well, anyway, here goes again...

Joshua wrote:
>>(Answering my own post) Nigel (is he still here?)
>>once pointed out that Wolfe frequently makes
>>reference to Plato's cave and the shadows on its
>>wall. The hospital in TAD was being discussed at
>>the time, IIRC."

Nigel wasn't still here, but Jonathan woke him up by prodding him with a
sharp stick and now here he is, back again.

Yes, the Myth of the Cave in Plato's "Republic" seems to be important for
Wolfe, but he also seems very interested in the Harrowing of Hell. In
TBotNS, in the episode in the mines of Saltus, that interest seems to
coalleasce with the story of the Morlocks in Wells' "The Time Machine", and
maybe that's going on in "Tracking Song" too. Be that as it may, the theme
of the hero's descent into the depths and his setting free of captives seems
to fascinate Wolfe.

Yes, I miss Alice too, though I'm still in touch with Mantis.

Nigel

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20070609/7e01060f/attachment.htm