Subject: (urth) Book of the New Sun Audiobooks?

From: Rex Lycanthrosaurus <lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:22:52 +0000

Anybody ever heard these or know who the reader is? I can think of no
better way to palliate the daily commute, but can find absolutely no
information anywhere about the product. I also find it hard to believe
you could record the entire unabridged series on 2 CDs, even with mp3
encoding. 
-- 
  Rex Lycanthrosaurus
  lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm

-- 
http://www.fastmail.fm - Email service worth paying for. Try it for free

---

From: Recursive Loop <recursive_loop at yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:37:05 +0000

Are these even legit? Are they "digitized" from earlier audio books (tapes)? I don't see any such
critter at Amazon or B&N, so I wonder how he/she is supplying them!

FPK3

____________________________________________________________________________________
Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting

---

From: don doggett <kingwukong at yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 21:01:46 +0000

--- Recursive Loop <recursive_loop at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Are these even legit? Are they "digitized" from
> earlier audio books (tapes)? I don't see any such

Well, rather than wondering, I emailed her asking who
reads them and who originally published them. So
hopefully I'll hear back. I'll let you know when and
if I do.

Don

The Evangelists: a Lesser Apocrypha                                                                        http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=178109961

____________________________________________________________________________________
Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.
http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow

---

From: aaron <aaronsingleton at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 21:08:50 +0000

I also just emailed the person to ask about the CDs.  And yes, it is
possible that they would fit on 2 CDs.  You see, MP3's are 1/10th the size
of regular WAV. files found on regular music CD's.  In other words, a
regular CD can hold up to 800 minutes of MP3 audio while with WAV's you only
get 80 mins.  At any rate, we will soon see if they are legit, although I am
very doubtful.

Aaron Singleton
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20070614/070fe2d0/attachment.htm

---

From: Rex Lycanthrosaurus <lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 21:34:09 +0000

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:08:50 -0400, "aaron" <aaronsingleton at gmail.com>
said:
> get 80 mins.  

According to the seller's information there are 50 hours of audio on the
two disks. 50 X 60 = 3000 minutes -- not 1600. Curiouser and curiouser.
-- 
  Rex Lycanthrosaurus
  lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm

-- 
http://www.fastmail.fm - The way an email service should be

---

From: David DiGiacomo <david at slack.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 21:47:13 +0000

> You see, MP3's are 1/10th the
> size of regular WAV. files found on regular music CD's.  In other words, a
> regular CD can hold up to 800 minutes of MP3 audio while with WAV's you
> only get 80 mins.  

Audio CDs hold uncompressed audio, but they don't have WAV files on them
(or any files).

>two disks. 50 X 60 = 3000 minutes -- not 1600. Curiouser and curiouser.

Since it's not music, it can be compressed to 32Kbps with reasonable
fidelity.

---

From: Matthew King <automatthew at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 21:59:56 +0000

> two disks. 50 X 60 = 3000 minutes -- not 1600. Curiouser and  

mp3 compression is very tunable, and you can get especially low file  
sizes when working with spoken word recordings.

Case in point, I just now finished preparing an mp3 recording of an  
hour long class. The final size was 6 MB.

At that level of compression, you can get over 100 hours on a CD.

Matthew

---

From: don doggett <kingwukong at yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 23:24:00 +0000

--- Rex Lycanthrosaurus <lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm>
wrote:

> Curiouser and curiouser.

Indeed. I just checked that listing and it's been
removed. I wouldn't hold my breath for any response.

Don

       
____________________________________________________________________________________
Got a little couch potato? 
Check out fun summer activities for kids.
http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=summer+activities+for+kids&cs=bz

---

From: don doggett <kingwukong at yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 23:46:12 +0000

Here's the link to the seller's other items. Can I get
an Aaargh, Matey? I wonder if someone is just
recording their own audio. Oh, and regarding the
listing going down, it had a buy it now option so
maybe someone bought it. If it's someone on this list
you should hang your head in shame. Uncool, especially
after all the discussion about how Wolfe isn't as big
a seller as he should be. And if it's not someone on
this list then I have no one to apologize to, except
for everyone who had to endure this rant.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZpowlandaQQhtZ-1

Don

       
____________________________________________________________________________________
Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search 
that gives answers, not web links. 
http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC

---

From: Tim Bryant <timothyjbryant at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 23:58:30 +0000

Hello. I've been a lurking member of the list for a few months now.
Though not a very auspicious topic for a first post, I wanted to let
you know that I reported the Wolfe audiobooks listing to eBay. That
may be why the listing disappeared. If it is a case of copyright
infringement, as I suspect it is, then the listing should be gone for
good. If not, it will be back up after eBay investigates. Based on the
seller's past sales, it looks like "powlanda" is either creating or
buying mp3 files of science fiction works, then selling them multiple
times at almost 100% profit.

If anyone feels similarly suspicious, as well as protective of the
other authors' copyrighted works, you could report the other listed
items, which have not been removed.

Regards,
Tim

On 6/14/07, don doggett <kingwukong at yahoo.com> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>

---

From: don doggett <kingwukong at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 00:11:54 +0000

--- Tim Bryant <timothyjbryant at gmail.com> wrote:

> may be why the listing disappeared.

Welcome to the list! I think you've given as important
a first post as anyone. Thanks for doing that and for
reaffirming my faith in this list. Oh, and sorry
everyone for the rant.

Don

       
____________________________________________________________________________________
Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out. 
http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545433

---

From: Steve Taylor <steve.taylor at majitek.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 00:13:21 +0000

As to the origin of the audiobooks, a wild guess:

A friend showed me a CD he'd bought from somewhere or other of readings 
of H.P. Lovecraft which were entirely computer generated - text fed into 
a text-to-speech program. The results were just about as awful as you'd 
imagine. I can see this as being a great assistive technology for blind 
people who are sick of the relatively restricted pool of available 
audiobooks, but I can't imagine anyone listening to it for any other reason.

Unless they're a *really* big Doctor Who fan and just plain like the 
sound of Daleks talking.

Anyway - just guesswork on my part.

                                             Steve

---

From: hammstu <hammstu at sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 00:20:18 +0000

I welcomed the rant, please keep 'em coming!!
Stuart

Stuart Hamm
1235B 7th Ave
San francisco, CA 94122
(415) 786-3624

-----Original Message-----
From: urth-bounces at lists.urth.net [mailto:urth-bounces at lists.urth.net] On
Behalf Of don doggett
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:12 PM
To: The Urth Mailing List
Subject: Re: (urth) Book of the New Sun Audiobooks?

Don

The Evangelists: a Lesser Apocrypha
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=17
8109961

____________________________________________________________________________
________
Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who
knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out. 
http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545433
_______________________________________________
Urth Mailing List
To post, write urth at urth.net
Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net