Subject: (urth) Tracking Song and vizcacha

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 08:34:43 +0000

Damn, how thick of me!

It was Dave Lebling, aka vizcacha, who first wrote about that "lost dog"
stuff I mentioned yesterday. Nine years ago! Why didn't you say something?
Better yet, say it now!

-Roy

---

From: Dave Lebling <dlebling at hyraxes.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 15:28:23 +0000

Roy, the easiest answer is that I had completely forgotten that I was 
the one who introduced that theory. I remember a couple of long threads 
on "Tracking Song" back in the dim and misty past, and it took me a 
while in the archives to find this one (vol. 6 of the Digest, for those 
who care).

When I reread my own archived messages, sometimes they are embarrassing, 
sometimes I'm impressed. This is one of the "impressed" ones, although I 
notice I discounted the relationship to CotW, which I think the recent 
discussion is more correct on. I was probably looking at straight plot 
correspondence, rather than thematic.

Dave Lebling, aka vizcacha

---

From: Dave Lebling <dlebling at hyraxes.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 15:39:54 +0000

Oops. Make that vol. 7 of Urth. Sigh.

-- Dave

Dave Lebling wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>
>
>   
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20070617/458ccdc8/attachment.htm

---

From: Matthew Groves <matthewalangroves at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 16:20:22 +0000

> stuff I mentioned yesterday. Nine years ago! Why didn't you say something?

 Well, I think I first read it in one of alga's posts.  There's lots of
clever people making astute observations in those archives, if you can
manage to find them, but it's not easy to determine who said what first.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20070617/031c1e18/attachment.htm

---

From: Matthew Groves <matthewalangroves at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 17:14:18 +0000

Actually, here is proof that Dave Liebling was the first to speculate on
Cutthroat's dog nature (though I can't find the original post for some
reason):

http://www.urth.net/urth/archives/v0007/0574.shtml

Very interesting: he speculates that the Great Sleigh sleigh is, at one
level of representation, the car (!!!) in which Cutthroat was riding before
he was left behind.  He also compares the bouillon cubes to a domestic dog's
kibble.  I like it a lot!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20070617/f748efdb/attachment.htm

---

From: Dave Lebling <dlebling at hyraxes.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 18:19:22 +0000

Thanks, Matthew. It's "Lebling," by the way, not "Liebling." I think the 
archives have various lacunae; my original post on this topic isn't 
there, just responses from alga and others. A little earlier in that 
archive is a post about problems with the database or the host, which 
may explain it.

The epigraph has multiple meanings. The simplest is that Cutthroat, like 
the Trojans, is an exile; he was expelled from the Great Sleigh, they 
were expelled from Troy. On another level, remember that the Romans, the 
descendants of Aeneas, were fostered by a she-wolf, as was Cutthroat by 
wolves. Third, consider the human-like animal people who have been 
approaching humanity for "seven years" and may now have reached it in 
the person of Cutthroat. Fourth, consider the destroyed Troy reborn as 
Rome, then a destroyed or at least diminished humanity (on the asteroid 
or even universally) reborn from the animals.

Matthew Groves wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20070617/cb02e8ed/attachment.htm