Subject: (urth) Wiki?

From: Mo Holkar / UKG <lists at ukg.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:56:45 +0000

Hi all,

Did anything ever get done about the Wolfe wiki idea?

If so, and stuff is in hand / under way, then brilliant.

If not, though, then maybe this could be time to give it another kick onwards?

I'm able to host and administer such a wiki myself, although I won't 
be able to do much in the way of populating it with material. If 
there are people who are keen and ready to get uploading Wolfeiana, 
then we could get started right away: I don't know what the critical 
mass of stuff would be for it to start being useful, but not a huge 
threshold I shouldn't think.

best,

Mo

---

From: Daniel D Jones <ddjones at riddlemaster.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 15:52:07 +0000

> threshold I shouldn't think.

As near as I can tell, this is a project in search of a leader.  If someone 
takes the initiative to get things configured and going, then there are a 
number of interested people who would likely take advantage of it.  As to 
whether there's enough people to create a critical mass and create something 
useful or not is an open question.  I don't think anyone will know until and 
unless someone is willing to get things going.

---

From: Matthew King <automatthew at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:40:48 +0000

> unless someone is willing to get things going.

Let's pretend for the sake of discussion that we already have  
MediaWiki installed, and now we're deciding how to configure it.

1)  Should the wiki be editable by anyone?  Should we reserve editing  
to list members only?

A halfway option would be to restrict a set of core pages to list  
members only to prevent vandalism, but to allow the unwashed masses  
to create and edit pages at the periphery.  This would provide for  
reading journals or the like.

2)  What kind of structure, if any, should the wiki start with?

http://lostpedia.com provides a decent example of a full-fledged  
MediaWiki site.  I like that they reserve wild speculation about  
episodes or characters to "theories" pages.

3) Who wants to be a moderator?

---

From: Mo Holkar / UKG <lists at ukg.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:20:56 +0000

At 21:40 20/06/2007, Matthew King wrote:
>Let's pretend for the sake of discussion that we already 
>have  MediaWiki installed, and now we're deciding how to configure it.

Unfortunately I'm not able to install MediaWiki on my hosting, 
because of the specific MySQL requirements it makes: so if that's a 
sine qua non, I'll have to withdraw my offer.

My suggestion would be to use PmWiki, which has pretty similar 
functionality in the important areas:
http://www.wikimatrix.org/compare/MediaWiki+PmWiki
and I think should be fine for a small (numbers of people) project like this

>1)  Should the wiki be editable by anyone?  Should we reserve 
>editing  to list members only?

It's not going to be practical, AFAIK, to have membership of the wiki 
automatically (and securely) respond to changes in the list 
membership. List users are going to have to join the wiki separately. 
In which case I would say we should reserve editing to wiki members only.

>A halfway option would be to restrict a set of core pages to 
>list  members only to prevent vandalism, but to allow the unwashed 
>masses  to create and edit pages at the periphery.  This would 
>provide for  reading journals or the like.

I would personally tend to allow anyone who goes to the effort of 
joining the wiki to edit it, just as anyone who goes to the effort of 
joining this list can post to it. But I don't feel strongly about 
that: it's easy enough to have areas restricted to certain groups, 
etc, if that's felt necessary.

>MediaWiki site.  I like that they reserve wild speculation 
>about  episodes or characters to "theories" pages.

I have no strong views about structure.

>3) Who wants to be a moderator?

I'm happy to moderate in the administrative sense, but I would prefer 
not to be involved in eg. mattes of quasi-academic dispute ;-)

By the way, if people think this discussion should be taken off list, 
do please say,

best,

Mo

Mo Holkar
Undying King Games
mo at ukg.co.uk
http://www.ukg.co.uk