Subject: (urth) "What I Know About Writing (in no particular order),"

From: Michael Straight <mfstraight at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 16:13:37 +0000

Michael Swanwick's essay about Wolfe in the F&SF special issue
mentions an essay by Wolfe called "What I Know About Writing (in no
particular order)."  Here's Swanwick's essay:

http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/2007/gwms0704.htm

Anyone know where this essay can be found?  The best Google could do
for me was this archived copy of a website that no longer exists and
that misspells Wolfe's name.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030402150536/subnet.pinder.net/onwriting/index.asp?name=./References/19970101wolfe.htm

Rostrum

---

From: Nigel Price <nigelprice at onetel.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 18:55:58 +0000

Rostrum asked about Wolfe's "What I Know About Writing (in no particular
order)"...

>>Anyone know where this essay can be found?
>>The best Google could do for me was this
>>archived copy of a website that no longer
>>exists and that misspells Wolfe's name.
>>
>>http://web.archive.org/web/20030402150536/subnet.pinder.net/onwriting/inde
x.asp?name=./References/19970101wolfe.htm

I don't think that this was an essay as such. It's a list of tips and bullet
points and the link you provide leads straight to it. Some excellent
practical, writerly, advice there.

Nigel

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20070621/4b606825/attachment.htm

---

From: JBarach at aol.com <jbarach at aol.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 19:20:57 +0000

In a message dated 6/21/2007 11:56:35 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,  
nigelprice at onetel.net writes:

Here's another link ('cause when I tried the one you gave it didn't work  for 
me):
 
_http://web.archive.org/web/20010113234500/http://carl.pinder.com/onwriting/wo
lfe.htm_ 
(http://web.archive.org/web/20010113234500/http://carl.pinder.com/onwriting/wolfe.htm) 
 
John

************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20070621/5da8dbbe/attachment.htm

---

From: Michael Straight <mfstraight at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 04:40:38 +0000

> practical, writerly, advice there.

I know someone who would like to quote one Wolfe's suggestions (viz: "Almost
any interesting work or art comes close to saying the opposite of what it
really says.") in a scholarly context, so she's hoping to find a better
citation than an archive of a dead webpage.

Kinda funny that John found a link to an archive of a different, but also
dead, webpage.  (Thanks John.  At least Pinder spelled Wolfe's name right.)

Rostrum
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20070621/2f6565b8/attachment.htm