Subject: (urth) Zen and Phaedria; the Great Genealogy Debate, a valedictory and post-mortem.

From: Robert Borski <rborski at coredcs.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 21:27:55 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

John Bishop:

ZEN AND THE ART OF MOTORCYCLE MAINTENANCE was published in 1974.

The titular novella of TFHoC was published in 1972, first in Damon Knight's
ORBIT series (#10, I believe).

I'd also like to echo Tony Ellis at this point:

Unlike the progenitor of the Saint Croix Wolfe clan I too fear the
repetition element, and so I'm therefore not going to address anything
further in defense of my earlier posts. 

THE FIFTH HEAD OF CEREBUS was published 26 years ago, and when the works of
Gene Wolfe are discussed (especially here), it's usually the two newer Sun
series that have been more vigorously addressed.

It's been fun altering the flow a little.

Thank you for your Devil's Advocacy, Tony Ellis, without which my screeds
would have been more akin to solipsistic masturbation than analysis.

At least now readers new to Wolfe or FIFTH HEAD will have additional
material to supplement the enjoyment of what is unarguably a seminal work
of sf by a master writer.

I hereby yield the floor back to the solar branch and urth firsters of this
list.

Robert Borski

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/