Subject: (urth) Content needed...

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 23:25:56 +0000

Hey,

We're beginning to build some content on the WolfeWiki at
http://www.holkar.net/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=WolfeWiki.Contents and
it would be great if a couple more people joined in at this point -- we're
moving toward critical mass, but could use help in achieving it.
Mo's done a great job of setting it up, but the point here is to have
the Lupine mob collaborate on this.

Plus, it's kind of fun to do.

-- 
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer
http://www.danehyoakes.com
Soon, where Toon Town once stood will be a string of gas stations,
inexpensive motels, restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food. Tire
salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards
reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful.

---

From: Matthew Groves <matthewalangroves at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 04:01:38 +0000

I would like to be a part of the efforts if I can offer anything.  Is
there a plan of action?

(One thing I noticed: Under "Standalone Novels" the publication date
of Pirate Freedom is listed as 1997.)

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 16:38:44 +0000

> I would like to be a part of the efforts if I can offer anything.  Is

It's evolving as we go. Mo can say more than me, he's the
captain of this ship. I'm just trying to stoke the boilers a bit.

Right now, we seem to be just getting in the basic factual
content. One thing I initiated is putting an "editions" section
under each book (I'm not sure if they're there for the books
I haven't worked on), so anyone having an edition not so
far listed is particularly asked for information.

Also, neither Mo nor I has any of the rarer collections
("Young Wolfe," "Bibliomen,' etc.), so anyone who has
those and can enter the contents -- it would be greatly
appreciated.

Then once that's done, the fun stuff begins -- we can
start working on plot summary, interpretation, relations
to other works, references to other works (including
other writers), etc. Though I guess the one thing does
not have to be finished before the other starts.

> of Pirate Freedom is listed as 1997.)

That appears to be fixed now.

---

From: Mo Holkar / UKG <lists at ukg.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 20:41:01 +0000

At 17:38 04/07/2007, Dan'l wrote:
>>  I would like to be a part of the efforts if I can offer anything.

It'd be great to have you involved! There's certainly plenty to do, 
even in the current limited scope.

>>Is there a plan of action?
>

I prefer to think of myself as the shipowner in a remote (and 
pleasantly heated) office...

At the moment we've just been working on getting the bibliography / 
list of resources up and established.

My feeling is that it needs a few more people involved, and a 
consensus about what the project's objectives are, before we can 
generate a proper task list.

(FWIW, my own main objective would be to have a place to capture the 
main interpretations, explanations, theories, debates etc from this 
list in a more convenient form than an email archive provides. So, 
for example, we've recently had a bunch of good stuff posted about 
the new story Unrequited Love -- I'd like to see a wiki page 
summarizing the various interesting points made, so that when I come 
to read the story again in the future, I have an easy recourse to 
what people have said about it.)

>>  (One thing I noticed: Under "Standalone Novels" the publication 
>> date  of Pirate Freedom is listed as 1997.)
>

There are probably other such errors, though, as we typed in a good 
deal of data pretty quickly, so if anyone spots anything do say (or 
dive in and fix it yourself),

best,

Mo

---

From: Matthew Groves <matthewalangroves at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 22:57:06 +0000

> list in a more convenient form than an email archive provides. [...])

Seconded.  Also, I think secondary reading lists and links might be
useful, both for individual stories/novels (e.g., relevant sections of
Herodotus' Histories for Soldier, or links to information on Attis for
There Are Doors) and for a general background on understanding Wolfe
(e.g., perhaps, The White Goddess, or The Golden Bough).

---

From: JWillard <aldenweer at charter.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 18:02:02 +0000

>Plus, it's kind of fun to do.
How does one register?  I found something asking for user name and 
password, but couldn't figure out where to set this up.  Help!

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 19:11:35 +0000

Ah. For the moment, one writes to Mo.

On 7/6/07, JWillard <aldenweer at charter.net> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>

---

From: Mo Holkar / UKG <lists at ukg.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 10:06:30 +0000

>password, but couldn't figure out where to set this up.  Help!

Sorry, the instructions are kind of tucked away:
http://www.holkar.net/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Admin.Editing

Basically, tell me the username and password you want, and I'll add 
you as a user. I don't want to set up an automatic facility for it 
until I've got a thorough grasp of the security ins and outs.

best wishes,

Mo

---

From: Dave Lebling <dlebling at hyraxes.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 15:42:51 +0000

The address given at that link bounced with a "PERMFAIL".

-- Dave Lebling, aka vizcacha

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20070707/3d38a7ec/attachment.htm

---

From: Mo Holkar / UKG <lists at ukg.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 20:12:48 +0000

>The address given at that link bounced with a "PERMFAIL".

I just clicked the link included below, and it worked fine for me -- 
anyone else having any problems? If not, likely some temporary 
curiosity of the servers -- worth trying again.

best,

Mo

>><http://www.holkar.net/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Admin.Editing>http://www.holkar.net/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Admin.Editing
>>
>Mo Holkar
>Undying King Games
>mo at ukg.co.uk
>http://www.ukg.co.uk

---

From: Dave Lebling <dlebling at hyraxes.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 01:22:18 +0000

Not the link, the email address itself. The link is fine, the address 
didn't work.

-- Dave

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20070707/181671be/attachment.htm

---

From: Mo Holkar / UKG <lists at ukg.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 10:55:49 +0000

At 02:22 08/07/2007, Dave wrote:
>Not the link, the email address itself. The link is fine, the 
>address didn't work.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.

I'll mail you from that address now so you can just respond to that message,

best wishes,

Mo