Subject: (urth) OT: hurRAH: The Grandmaster is 100

From: Sean Lackey <zeppelin at texas.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 05:02:33 +0000

I know some discussion of his work have come up here from time to  
time, so I thought it worth noting that, July 7th marks Robert A.  
Heinlein's 100th birthday.

My father gave me a copy of SPACE CADET to read when I was in the  
third grade.  Then he bought the rest of the juveniles, and I read  
most of them before I was a teen myself.  I wrote a book report on  
DOUBLE STAR in the sixth grade, and read most of RAH's major and  
minor works by the time I was 17.

When his final novel, TO SAIL BEYOND THE SUNSET came out in 1987,   
Dad (some know him as Roy) insisted on reading aloud every novel tied  
into it (and he did) before reading SUNSET.

It's been near 20 years since those readings, but the works of  
Heinlein left an indelible impression on me as a young man, and  
opened doors to many other authors, most in arms reach in dad's library.

Thanks RAH, but mostly, thank you Dad.

Sean

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 17:59:16 +0000

Thanks for posting it ... I cried when he died. I'd only met him once,
under very unfavorable conditions, but that wasn't even the point;
he was as much a father-figure to me as my real father. He taught
me how to think for myself, how to get the facts and draw conclusions.
I rarely drew the same conclusions as him, but the process was so
important that I regard him as my greatest teacher.

One hundred years. Wow.

Anyone for a party on 1/2/20?

On 7/8/07, Sean Lackey <zeppelin at texas.net> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>

-- 
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer
http://www.danehyoakes.com
Soon, where Toon Town once stood will be a string of gas stations,
inexpensive motels, restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food. Tire
salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards
reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful.