Subject: (urth) Borski's 5HOC site

From: aaron <aaronsingleton at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 14:30:27 +0000

Just curious to see if Borski's 5HOC site works for anyone here.  Each time
I have tried to visit, I get a forbidden message.  It is very frustrating as
I really want to read some of the content there.  If the site is dead, are
there any places on the web where I can read some of the essays etc. that
were once kept on the site?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Aaron Singleton
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20070709/1bfa1811/attachment.htm

---

From: Nigel Price <nigelprice at onetel.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 15:31:16 +0000

No, I can't get onto Robert Borski's "Cave Canem" website anymore either. I
haven't been able to contact him by e-mail or telephone, though I've tried
both and I know that others have too. I hope that he's all right. My best
guess is that he wants a bit of privacy at the moment. I'd be very pleased
to hear news of him. My only "contact" with Robert for some while has been
buying his books!

Nigel

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20070709/25385c18/attachment.htm

---

From: Rex Lycanthrosaurus <lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:51:08 +0000

Several months ago I was able to touch base with Mr. Borski via the
strangehorizons site, where quite a bit of his poetry has been appearing
lately, and he told me Cave Canem has always been available as a
download from a gmail account he set up expressly for that purpose.
Apparently, someone here is supposed to pass the word every time a
request comes up. I just tested the link and it remains valid, so for
those interested, after you go to gmail.com, login with the following
particulars:

Username = rborski
Password = CaveCanem

I was also told that hard copies of the Concordance remain available
from siriusfiction "for a pittance" and that a synthesis of the Cave
Canem essays, containing Borski's most recent thinking about Fifth Head,
can be found in his second book.  

Wonder at the same time if there's any way the Cave Canem material--with
permission--could be wikified? 

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 10:30:27 -0400, "aaron" <aaronsingleton at gmail.com>

-- 
  Rex Lycanthrosaurus
  lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm

-- 
http://www.fastmail.fm - One of many happy users:
  http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html

---

From: Mo Holkar / UKG <lists at ukg.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:32:30 +0000

At 15:51 10/07/2007, you wrote:
>strangehorizons site, where quite a bit of his poetry has been 
>appearing lately, and he told me Cave Canem has always been 
>available as a download from a gmail account he set up expressly for 
>that purpose. Apparently, someone here is supposed to pass the word 
>every time a request comes up. I just tested the link and it remains 
>valid, so for those interested, after you go to gmail.com, login 
>with the following particulars:
>
>Username = rborski Password = CaveCanem

That's very kind of him!

>Canem essays, containing Borski's most recent thinking about Fifth 
>Head, can be found in his second book.
>
>Wonder at the same time if there's any way the Cave Canem 
>material--with permission--could be wikified?

I've now downloaded a copy to read myself, and would be very happy to 
put it up onto WolfeWiki if his permission can be sought and obtained,

Mo

---

From: aaron <aaronsingleton at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:07:45 +0000

That is a great idea.  I would never have thought of using gmail's huge free
storage for such a purpose.

Aaron

On 7/10/07, Mo Holkar / UKG <lists at ukg.co.uk> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20070710/fedb2f2e/attachment.htm

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:30:22 +0000

OK, and there's also this family tree in there, in which it appears
that Severian is his own grampaw.

WTF???

-- 
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer
http://www.danehyoakes.com
Soon, where Toon Town once stood will be a string of gas stations,
inexpensive motels, restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food. Tire
salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards
reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful.

---

From: Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 06:39:34 +0000

> put it up onto WolfeWiki if his permission can be sought and obtained,

If you do ask, make sure you get a decent license for the corpus. Copyright is a very treacherous thing, with many arbitrary and nasty rules (I especially like how derivative works must be licensed under the most restrictive license applied to any of its constituents, or the copyright by default regime). If it goes on the wiki, people will be editing it, hopefully, and incorporating it into other pages, so if it has a proprietary or non-commercial license, it'll sooner or later contaminate other pages.

--
gwern
"A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct. This every sister of the Bene Gesserit knows..."
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20070714/dee81f33/attachment.pgp

---

From: Daniel D Jones <ddjones at riddlemaster.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:20:05 +0000

On Saturday 14 July 2007 02:39, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> If you do ask, make sure you get a decent license for the corpus. Copyright
> is a very treacherous thing, with many arbitrary and nasty rules (I
> especially like how derivative works must be licensed under the most
> restrictive license applied to any of its constituents, or the copyright by
> default regime). If it goes on the wiki, people will be editing it,
> hopefully, and incorporating it into other pages, so if it has a
> proprietary or non-commercial license, it'll sooner or later contaminate
> other pages.
>
> --
> gwern
> "A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the
> balances are correct. This every sister of the Bene Gesserit knows..."

I think the best thing to do for cases like this would be for the admin to 
lock the pages and disallow editing, and to put an introduction at the top 
with attribution to Borski and explaining why editing is not allowed.