Subject: (urth) Clute's Interpretation of Severian Becoming the Autarch

From: E <euth82 at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 21:34:35 +0000

Hello,

I was reading one of Clute's reviews
(http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue133/excess.html) and in it he mentions
that Severian is a liar, implying he assumes the role of Autarch in an
underhanded manner through murder.  Does anyone know what Clute's
exact argument is, and what evidence he uses to support it?  Because
if this is true then it really changes what I thought about the
story... I know Severian routinely lies or purposefully omits details,
so that does make him a "liar", but if he is completely lying about
over-taking the Autarchy, that makes him a much greater liar than I
imagined.

I have spent a good amount of time reading through these forums and
Google-searching for Clute's interpretation on this matter, but can't
find anything.  I have looked quite a while.  Also, unfortunately, my
library doesn't have copies of Clute's "Encyclopedia of Science
Fiction" or "Scores" works (although I'm not even sure if they would
be able to answer my question.)

Does anyone have any insight into this?

Best,

  - Adam

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 02:35:46 +0000

Adam,

I don't see there anything about murder. Clute does say that Sev
is concealing (something important about) how he came to be
the Autarch, but, really, what he does do -- cut the old Autarch's
skull open and eat his brains -- seems quite bad enough.

--Dan'l

On 7/11/07, E <euth82 at gmail.com> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>

-- 
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer
http://www.danehyoakes.com
Soon, where Toon Town once stood will be a string of gas stations,
inexpensive motels, restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food. Tire
salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards
reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful.

---

From: Tim Walters <walters at doubtfulpalace.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 06:09:38 +0000

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:

> Clute does say that Sev
> the Autarch,

Specifically, that the Autarch was Catherine, his mother. See the last 
essay in _Strokes_.

-- 

Tim Walters | The Doubtful Palace | http://doubtfulpalace.com