Subject: (urth) Why did Vodalus risk...?

From: aaron <aaronsingleton at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:01:09 +0000

I have a question for you guys, and hopefully you can offer me some insight
here.  I am on my umpteenth reread of TSotT, and I only just realized what a
great risk Vodalus takes when he, Hildegrin, and Thea rob the grave in the
necropolis.  My next thought was: Why would he take such a risk?  Or, for
Whom?  Whose corpse did they take?  Obviously, they wanted a particular
person's body, or else why would they go so far out of their way and (again)
take such a risk?  And does Thea's presence there indicate anything?
Perhaps a member of her family was their target.  Why else would she tag
along on such a dangerous mission?  Couldn't possibly be Thecla's body, as
that was my first thought. Sorry, but this is driving me up the wall!
Thanks to all in advance.  If I come up with a good theory on the subject, I
will post it, but so far I have nothing.

Aaron Singleton
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20070725/25bf5d83/attachment.htm

---

From: Bruce Hayles <brucehayles at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 20:01:32 +0000

In the opening chapter of Shadow, Thea says something to Vodalus that
Severian does not catch; Vodalus says in response, "You didn't have to
come, Thea. How would it look to the others if I took none of the
risks?"
This reminds me of generals fighting at the front of their army. By
taking the same risks as his men, he gains their respect.
Vodalus is also very prideful. He does not seriously appreciate the
danger of the watchmen. He disdains his earlier use of the gun, and
when the watchmen are nearly upon them, gives the gun to Hildegrin,
saying that Hildegrin might need it. This is despite the fact that he
most desperately needs it, since he is holding off the watchmen. His
pride drives him needlessly to fight them with his sword. When
Severian saves him, he is repaid with a false coin.
Wives of generals would come along with them on risky campaigns, so
Thea coming along doesn't seem implausible, even if it is unnecessary
for the task.
I think the explanation of Vodalus taking the risk is Vodalus's character.

On 7/25/07, aaron <aaronsingleton at gmail.com> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>

---

From: Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 00:14:13 +0000

aaron wrote:
> I have a question for you guys, and hopefully you can offer me some 
> insight here.  I am on my umpteenth reread of TSotT, and I only just 
> realized what a great risk Vodalus takes when he, Hildegrin, and Thea 
> rob the grave in the necropolis.  My next thought was: Why would he take 
> such a risk?

My thought is that the body is that of a particularly loyal, devoted 
follower, and he is there personally to secure it for use in further 
binding and perhaps even converting people to his side with the alzabo 
drug. A sufficiently powerful inherited personality may even turn a spy 
or double agent among the rebels to true allegiance.

-- 
Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >

---

From: JWillard <aldenweer at charter.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 05:02:56 +0000

aaron wrote:

> rob the grave in the necropolis.  My next thought was: Why would he 
> take such a risk?  Or, for Whom?  Whose corpse did they take?  
> Obviously, they wanted a particular person's body, or else why would 
> they go so far out of their way and (again) take such a risk?  And 
> does Thea's presence there indicate anything?  Perhaps a member of her 
> family was their target.  Why else would she tag along on such a 
> dangerous mission?  Couldn't possibly be Thecla's body, as that was my 
> first thought. Sorry, but this is driving me up the wall!  Thanks to 
> all in advance.  If I come up with a good theory on the subject, I 
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
I agree:  I've often wondered who 'the carrot' is...