Subject: (urth) Wolfe stories

From: Steve Taylor <steve.taylor at majitek.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 21:47:30 +0000

I've been mostly lurking here for ages, impressed by the level of 
erudition and analysis - I'm not a particularly analytical reader at the 
best of times, and I sometimes wonder whether I'm the sort of person who 
should be reading Wolfe in the first place. Most of the discussion has 
been centered on the novels though, and I tend to read his short stories 
more.

Is there any archive of discussion on his shorter works - or do people 
mind if I just ask "what the hell was that all about" about a particular 
story?

                                   Steve

---

From: Joe Bushong-Taylor <joebt01 at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 22:47:08 +0000

Gene Wolfe has won the World Fantasy Award for Best Novel of 2006 for *Soldier
of Sidon*.  The presentation of the award came at the World Fantasy
Convention awards banquet today in Sarasota Springs, NY.

I find it gratifying that the fantasy community has recognized the
importance of this work and, indeed, of Gene's contributions as a whole.  If
you have put off reading the Soldier books, get to them.  The unfolding
story of Latro offers insight into how we deal with loss, and the nature of
personal identity.

In accepting the award, Gene noted that his decision to write the novel was
due, in part, to the requests of many readers that he continue the story of
Latro.  He also hinted that he may heed calls he has received already
to continue the story even further.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20071104/757fe1ff/attachment.htm

---

From: mark mullis <markmullis at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 05:37:08 +0000

A big congratulations to Gene.  If I reason correctly, this is the most
illustrious award he's received for an individual work (in other words:
discounting the "Lifetime Achievement" award he received from the same panel
a few years back).

The Latro books are shaping up to be every bit as significant an aspect of
his legacy as the trinity of Sun books.

By the way, this is my first contribution to the mailing list.   I've been
slowly working my way through the archives, reveling in the knowledge that
there is a forum on the internet for Wolfe fans to interact.  I'm also
eagerly awaiting the spike in discussion that will inevitably follow Pirate
Freedom's publication next week.

Mark Mullis
markmullis at gmail.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20071105/6fd42cac/attachment.htm

---

From: James Crossley <ishmael at drizzle.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 06:13:20 +0000

On 11/5/07 9:37 PM, "mark mullis" <markmullis at gmail.com> wrote:

> discounting the "Lifetime Achievement" award he received from the same panel a
> few years back). 
> 

He won the same award in 1981 for Shadow of the Torturer.

James
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20071105/0b20ae06/attachment.htm

---

From: Matthew Keeley <matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 01:51:16 +0000

If you search the archive on urth.net, you'll find that there have been
quite a few discussions of individual stories, most started by someone
asking "What the hell was that all about?" I'd recommend looking there
first, but obviously feel free to put in your own thoughts. It might also be
worth checking the WolfeWiki at http://www.holkar.net/pmwiki/

-Matt

On 11/3/07, Steve Taylor <steve.taylor at majitek.com> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20071107/263db5d2/attachment.htm

---

From: mark mullis <markmullis at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 05:59:10 +0000

> worth checking the WolfeWiki at http://www.holkar.net/pmwiki/
The WolfeWiki is a damn ambitious project, but has a terribly long way to go
before it's anything of an authoritative resource; even the pages for most
of the major works are incomplete.  Of course, the vague authority of a wiki
will inevitably be strained further still by attempting to document
something as elusive as the works of GW.

Do you, or does anyone else here, know who's running it, exactly?

mark mullis
markmullis at gmail.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20071106/4f2c3eda/attachment.htm

---

From: Mo Holkar <lists at ukg.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 09:01:34 +0000

At 05:59 07/11/2007, you wrote:
>The WolfeWiki is a damn ambitious project, but has a terribly long 
>way to go before it's anything of an authoritative resource; even 
>the pages for most of the major works are incomplete.  Of course, 
>the vague authority of a wiki will inevitably be strained further 
>still by attempting to document something as elusive as the works of GW.
>

I'm hosting and administering it, but most of the contribution so far 
has been by Dan'l, Matt and Stone Ox (all of this list).

It certainly is very incomplete -- the bibliography, external links 
etc have come along pretty well, but the only works treated in any 
great analytical detail so far are Peace and the IoDDaOSaOS 
collection. But I think that what we have there for those is 
terrifically interesting, and provides a good model for the rest that 
will follow.

If anyone would like to come along and contribute capsule summaries 
of the missing works, you'd be very welcome on the wiki!

best,

Mo

# ~ # ~ #

WolfeWiki
http://www.holkar.net/pmwiki/

---

From: Michael Straight <mfstraight at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 19:49:43 +0000

Welcome, Steve.  Ask away.  I've had more than one of Wolfe's short
stories go from "What was that?" to "Wow, what a great story!" thanks
to insight of people on the list.

No promises, of course, but people here are generally happy to respond
to a "What's going on at the end of this story?"

Rostrum