Subject: (urth) wolfe on writing

From: scase <scase at olemiss.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 21:50:59 +0000

I'm wondering about the new book of essays by Wolfe.  I
can't remember the title, but I thought the
subtitle/description was something like "Wolfe on Writing". 
Has anyone read this?  Does it contain new material, or is
it simply a compilation of stuff that has appeared elsewhere
(for example, Castle of Days)?

---

From: Jordan Dennis <jordanden at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 02:53:52 +0000

---END QUOTE---

Hey Scase,

I'm not sure if it is any different than what's in Castle of Days (I don't
own it.)  I can give you the technical specs on the book, though. It's
titled "Shadow of the New Sun: Wolfe on Writing/Writers on Wolfe." It's
edited by Peter Wright and published by Liverpool University Press. The ISBN
is 978-84631-058-4. No price on the cover of my trade paperback copy, but I
think I paid around $30  US at amazon.

Looking at the copyrights page, here's the list of where Wolfe's writings
originally appeared:

   - *Plan[e]t Engineering*
   - 10 original (copyrighted 2007) very short works
   - *The Writer, *1980

Hope that helps!
-- 
Jordan D. Dennis

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof, or abridging the freedom of speech,
or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Under the First Amendment, there is no such thing as a false idea. However
pernicious as an opinion may seem, we depend for its correction not on the
conscience of judges and juries, but on the competition of other ideas. (US
1974:339)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20071115/8a64617f/attachment.htm

---

From: Ryan Buller <tribot at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 00:03:45 +0000

I think you are looking for "Shadows of the New Sun"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/184631058X?ie=UTF8&coliid=I177VH4YOFLAAW&colid=UUWLMOQHNL4S

I've read a bit of it and Wolfe's essays on writing are really  
insightful.