Subject: (urth) question about book anatomy

From: Transentient <transentient at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 14:04:50 +0000

With Pirate Freedom, Wolfe has again placed a favorite quote of his  
right at the beginning. After the acknowledgements, before the page  
with the title on it.

Can anybody tell me what this component of a book is called? Its not a  
preface, its not a forward...is it an epigram? It's "a quote at the  
beginning of a book..." and I know there is a more specific definition.

---

From: Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 16:23:19 +0000

> beginning of a book..." and I know there is a more specific definition.

How about "epigraph"? <https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Epigraph_%28literature%29>

--
gwern
Walther NRO DUVDEVAN South MD4 Koancho Doom RX- E. Compsec
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20071117/76b1d994/attachment.pgp

---

From: Transentient <transentient at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 18:29:25 +0000

On Nov 17, 2007, at 11:23 AM, Gwern Branwen wrote:

> How about "epigraph"? <https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Epigraph_%28literature%29 
> >

Sounds like it! That's funny, I thought this at first, but my brain  
scrambled the word to "epigram" which is not the same thing, so I  
looked that up and was like, darn, must be something different.

Anyway - very cute epigraph in Pirate Freedom.