Subject: (urth) More aquastor

From: Matthew King <automatthew at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:00:20 +0000

Aquaster, actually.  Jung apparently noodled with the Paracelsan idea  
of the aquaster.

The PDF abstract of Jung's collected works found at the link below  
has this:

The Iliaster and the Aquaster are compared, and the latter is  
described as a spiritual principle
whose characteristics correspond to the alchemical concept of the  
water in prima materia.
Christ is said to have taken his body from the celestial Aquaster;  
Mary, from the iliastric
Aquaster. The Aquaster is interpreted as a psychic principle, closely  
related to the modern
concept of the unconscious. In Paracelsus' writings, it was  
personified as the homunculus. Both
Iliaster and Aquaster were believed to extend upwards and downwards,  
assuming a spiritual
form as well as a quasi material one; in this respect they are seen  
to resemble the alchemical
prima materia.

And this:

The alchemical concept Ares is discussed and compared to the  
Paracelsan Aquaster. In the
alchemic view, Ares is presented as the determiner of individual form  
and species, hence, an
intuitive concept for a preconscious, creative and formative  
principle to individual creatures.
Paracelsus endowed Ares with a watery character, bringing it into  
relationship to the body. The
Paracelsan concept of Ares is seen to be scarcely distinguishable  
from that of Aquaster, a
situation not uncommon in alchemy where concepts are seen to take the  
place of one another
ad infinitum.

http://www.cgjungcenterphiladelphia.org/