Subject: (urth) Typhon and the Whorl

From: Ashley Crill <ash_crill at hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 20:56:56 +0000

>   Whatever the original design, I think Typhon wanted the Whorl to return 
> to Earth after things calmed down after a few centuries to "recolonize" 
> using technical experts released from suspended animation to start fixing 
> things, millions of peons that worshipped him as a god to provide the labor 
> and armies of chems to reestablish order. Then they could either revive the 
> original Typhon or if he was lost Pas could download into a suitable body 
> and reestablish his empire and glory.
> 
> Evidently something went wrong with his plan when he was deposed by his 
> children and the inhumani hijacked the ship and redirected it to Green/Blue.

This is basically how I understand the Whorl. Typhon was hedging his bets, and using the Whorl as a resurrection scheme. He did intend to be downloaded into a human body at some point and the Silk embryo was his chosen body, hence Silk's great strength, charisma, and rapid healing powers. I'm not too sure that he intended a return to Earth however, perhaps he anticipated starting a new galactic empire from a suitable planet.

_________________________________________________________________
Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live.
http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_Wave2_sharelife_122007
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20071217/f78d9369/attachment.htm

---

From: Dan <autarch at vippn.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 03:02:51 +0000

At 06:53 AM 12/21/2007, Roy C. Lackey wrote:

>I believe you meant Hierogrammates, not Hieros. The Hieros were the humans
>who cruelly fashioned the Hierogrammates in another universe that collapsed.
>The Hierogrammates were the only things that mankind had made that survived
>that universe. Tzadkiel was a Hierogrammate. Yesod is where they reside. It
>is outside the universe of Briah, which is where Urth is located.

Yes. Sorry I was being lazy and abbreviating. I meant those who had FTL 
capability.

Pedro wrote:

>The answer is right here in this list. Its one of the few interviews in 
>which memebers asked questions that Wolfe later answered:

Wow, maybe that's why I didn't remember it. He never does that! And now I 
see why...

>
><<<<From: m.driussi at genie.comSubject: (whorl) Train from WolfelandDate: 
>Sat, 14 Jun 97 21:15:00 GMT[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene 
>Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]
>
>3. "What was Typhon's purpose in lanunching the Whorl and was 
>theBlue/Green system the intended destination?"  Knowing Typhon as I do,he 
>probably had at least half a dozen purposes; but certainly one ofthe chief 
>must have been self-aggrandizement -- to return human kindto the stars 
>would be a very great thing indeed.  Yes, the Blue-Greensystem was the 
>intended destination.>>>>
>
>
>There it is, clear as water.

Simple, straightforward and not very satisfying.