Subject: (urth) A Cabin on the Coast

From: Michael Straight <mfstraight at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 19:15:05 +0000

Anyone else think that Pirate Freedom can be seen as an expanded
version of the Wolfe short story "A Cabin on the Coast"?

-- Rostrum

---

From: Matthew Groves <matthewalangroves at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:41:30 +0000

Yes, absolutely.  I think one source of their resemblance, and the
similarity of other Wolfe stories, is due to Wolfe's absorption of
Robert Graves's The White Goddess.

---

From: Matthew Keeley <matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 23:04:07 +0000

I saw your "Interpreting Wolfe" list on Amazon; I see you put The
White Goddess on that too. It's one of those things I've been meaning
to read for a while, and learning it's influenced by Wolfe makes me
want to read it more. In a similar vein, is there any evidence that
Wolfe has read Frazer's Golden Bough (Or at least some of it - The
whole work is 13 volumes or something ridiculous like that).

Not to sound silly, but do you think you could elaborate just a bit on
the Frazer-Wolfe connection in Pirate Freedom? I don't know much about
Graves, and there wasn't anything in PF that just screamed "White
Goddess" to me, a layman. I suppose I could see some influence in New
Sun, but PF, not so much. I don't doubt it's there, it's just I don't
know enough to see it.

-Matt

---

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 05:45:00 +0000

>Robert Graves's The White Goddess.

I vowed at the time Marc Aramini posted what Wolfe really had to say about
_The White Goddess_ that I was going to post a link to that post every time
someone raised the specter of _The White Goddess_ and its supposed influence
on Wolfe. I can't seem to find it now, so it must be in the year of lost
archives. Could you send it again, Marc?

-Roy