Subject: (urth) First sight of *An Evil Guest*

From: Nicholas Gevers <vermoulian at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 12:51:17 +0000

AN EVIL GUEST, Wolfe's new novel, is due out in
mid-September from Tor. I've just received an Advanced
Bound Manuscript, which comes to 526 pages, or about
100,000 words all told.

--Nick Gevers.

      ___________________________________________________________ 
Rise to the challenge for Sport Relief with Yahoo! For Good  

http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/

---

From: aaron <aaronsingleton at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:08:11 +0000

>
> I hate to admit to the base human emotions, but damn am I ever envious.

Aaron Singleton
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080317/f581ba0c/attachment.html

---

From: Matthew Keeley <matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:41:11 +0000

You're a lucky man. Enjoy it, and I think we'll be interested in hearing
your impressions. Didn't realize it was coming out in September - bit
earlier than I expected. Am I correct in saying this is the book set in the
same world as Memorare?

-Matt
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080317/61c6aa9b/attachment.htm

---

From: Greg Bates <tedkennedyrolls at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:57:16 +0000

I hate you. Seriously.

How is it so far?

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 8:51 AM, Nicholas Gevers <vermoulian at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080317/f846c942/attachment.htm

---

From: Greg Bates <tedkennedyrolls at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 22:06:33 +0000

I read something online that described "An Evil Guest" as 'Gene Wolfe does
H.P. Lovecraft', which made it my most anticipated novel in a long time. How
correct would you say that statement is?

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Matthew Keeley <matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080317/b3f2e5f8/attachment.html

---

From: Mike Myers <mimyerspdt at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 00:11:05 +0000

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080317/41808008/attachment.htm

---

From: aaron <aaronsingleton at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:49:00 +0000

I wish Wolfe would write as fast as King.  The sad truth is that Wolfe is
getting up there in age.  Already, my other favorite SF/F writer, Jack
Vance, has retired (although he is dictating an auto-biography)largely due
to blindness and old age.  I think Wolfe may have four or five more novels
left, perhaps another collection.  'Tis a sad thought, but one that cannot
be ignored.

Anyway, I am curious to know if An Evil Guest if closer in style to
Castleview and Free Live Free, or more like Peace and 5HoC.  Either way, I
will be content.  Just curious.

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 7:11 PM, Mike Myers <mimyerspdt at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Seems Mr. Wolfe is writing faster than Steven King these days.
>
>
> --- On *Mon, 3/17/08, Nicholas Gevers <vermoulian at yahoo.com>* wrote:
>
> From: Nicholas Gevers <vermoulian at yahoo.com>
> Subject: (urth) First sight of *An Evil Guest*
> To: urth at urth.net
> Date: Monday, March 17, 2008, 5:51 AM
>
>
> ------------------------------
> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51734/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080318/1b0ef2f0/attachment.htm

---

From: Eric Ortlund <eortlund at briercrest.ca>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:12:36 +0000

Speaking of Wolfe getting old - something I've worried about before - do
you think the latest Latro book (where he's in Egypt) is the last in the
series?  I haven't read it . . . and I'm inclined to wait if there's
going to be another book in the series, since answers in Wolfe tend to
come late!

Eric Ortlund 
Assistant Professor of Old Testament 
Briercrest Seminary 
http://www.briercrest.ca/seminary/prospective/academics/programs/ 
http://scatterings1976.blogspot.com/ 

________________________________

From: urth-bounces at lists.urth.net [mailto:urth-bounces at lists.urth.net]
On Behalf Of aaron
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 6:49 AM
To: mimyerspdt at yahoo.com; The Urth Mailing List
Subject: Re: (urth) First sight of *An Evil Guest* [html][mx][spf]

I wish Wolfe would write as fast as King.  The sad truth is that Wolfe
is getting up there in age.  Already, my other favorite SF/F writer,
Jack Vance, has retired (although he is dictating an
auto-biography)largely due to blindness and old age.  I think Wolfe may
have four or five more novels left, perhaps another collection.  'Tis a
sad thought, but one that cannot be ignored.

Anyway, I am curious to know if An Evil Guest if closer in style to
Castleview and Free Live Free, or more like Peace and 5HoC.  Either way,
I will be content.  Just curious.

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 7:11 PM, Mike Myers <mimyerspdt at yahoo.com>
wrote:

--- On Mon, 3/17/08, Nicholas Gevers <vermoulian at yahoo.com> wrote:

	
	--Nick Gevers.

	

________________________________

	Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with
Yahoo! Search.
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51734/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsear
ch/category.php?category=shopping>  

-------------------------
Invite the next generation of students to consider Briercrest College and Seminary. Visit www.briercrest.ca/refer.  
-------------------------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged proprietary material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, or distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, or authorized to receive the information from the recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080318/d3b9cf3b/attachment.html

---

From: Matthew Keeley <matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:19:29 +0000

Vance is dictating an autobiography? Didn't know that, but I imagine that
would be fascinating - judging from a brief "autobiographical sketch" of
his, he's had a fascinating life. I'm going to have to start a Vance thread
here one of these days... I've been reading a good deal of his stuff lately
and I'm fishing for recommendations on his best work.

It seems to me Wolfe's books have had simpler prose styles these past few
years - perhaps this is Wolfe's "late style?" Then again, Castleview was
years and years ago and that was written in a less-than-ornate style too...
And while Wolfe may not write as fast as King, he's still happily prolific
(And much more re-readable).

-Matt
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080318/5bc99e79/attachment.htm

---

From: aaron <aaronsingleton at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:21:01 +0000

Indeed Vance is dictating his auto-biography into tape recorder and his new
live-in caregiver is transcribing these tapes to paper.  I for one cannot
wait for the end result.  Vance has led an interesting life, from working as
a Naval electrician in Pearl Harbor just two weeks before the disaster there
to writing scripts for 20th Century Fox's Captain Video TV show in the 50's.

I have read everything Vance has published with the exception of one of the
mysteries.  To me, other than The Dying Earth series, his best work has to
be the four book series called Tschai (aka Planet of Adventure-not Vance's
title)  consisting of  City of the Chasch,  Servants of the Wankh, The
Dirdir, and The Pnume.   Kind of like Wolfe's 'four book trilogy'.  But
really, you won't go wrong with any Vance written from the 60's onward.

As far as Latro goes, I am unsure about whether or not this is the final
book, but I THINK not.  I have yet to read it myself.

I hope Wolfe will continue to write into his late eighties as Vance did, but
who can say?  I guess we should all treasure each and every piece of work we
get from him from now on.

Aaron Singleton

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Matthew Keeley <matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080318/9cda4e4e/attachment-0001.html