Subject: (urth) An Evil Guest

From: Nicholas Gevers <vermoulian at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:06:58 +0000

In response to those who replied re *An Evil Guest*, I
haven't started reading the book yet. It's third
person, near-future, which squares with "Memorare",
and shapeshifters appear to be involved.

--Nick Gevers.

      ___________________________________________________________ 
Rise to the challenge for Sport Relief with Yahoo! For Good  

http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/

---

From: Michael Straight <mfstraight at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 18:38:38 +0000

I've always thought it would be interesting for Wolfe to do a story
with shapeshifters in it.  It will be interesting to see what he does
with the concept.

- Rostrum

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 6:06 AM, Nicholas Gevers <vermoulian at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  _______________________________________________
>  Urth Mailing List
>  To post, write urth at urth.net
>  Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
>

---

From: Pedro Pereira <domus_artemis at hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 00:53:13 +0000

I think he already did.
 
Pedro> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:38:38 -0600> From: mfstraight at gmail.com> To: urth at lists.urth.net> Subject: Re: (urth) An Evil Guest> > I've always thought it would be interesting for Wolfe to do a story> with shapeshifters in it. It will be interesting to see what he does> with the concept.> > - Rostrum> > On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 6:06 AM, Nicholas Gevers <vermoulian at yahoo.com> wrote:> > In response to those who replied re *An Evil Guest*, I> > haven't started reading the book yet. It's third> > person, near-future, which squares with "Memorare",> > and shapeshifters appear to be involved.> >> > --Nick Gevers.> >> >> > ___________________________________________________________> > Rise to the challenge for Sport Relief with Yahoo! For Good> >> > http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/> > _______________________________________________> > Urth Mailing List> > To post, write urth at urth.net> > Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net> >> _______________________________________________> Urth Mailing List> To post, write urth at urth.net> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
_________________________________________________________________
Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE!
http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080321/e24c65b9/attachment.htm

---

From: Transentient <transentient at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 03:29:31 +0000

uh.

Alright, I think this post is completely full of win.

But there is a chance it is completely full of fail.

Either way, it's amazing that I can even type this email considering I  
have these floppy hands.

---

From: don doggett <kingwukong at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 19:48:52 +0000

Just have your clone write your letters.

Don 

> > with shapeshifters in it.  It will be interesting

The Evangelists: a Lesser Apocrypha                                                                        http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=178109961

      ____________________________________________________________________________________
Never miss a thing.  Make Yahoo your home page. 
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 23:33:19 +0000

I think Wolfe should write a book about a torturer who does all sorts of
horrible things except - get this - he's the hero! Of course it would have
to be in the first person.

.

> The Evangelists: a Lesser Apocrypha
>
> http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=178109961
>
>

---

From: Greg Bates <tedkennedyrolls at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 02:43:34 +0000

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080321/c0eb892c/attachment.htm

---

From: Matthew Keeley <matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 04:34:45 +0000

Fine with me, as long as he does his pirate book first.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080322/11ea6817/attachment.htm

---

From: don doggett <kingwukong at yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 01:50:42 +0000

It's up on amazon, with a cover illustration. Nifty.
http://www.amazon.com/Evil-Guest-Gene-Wolfe/dp/0765321335

Don

---------------------------------
Never miss a thing.   Make Yahoo your homepage.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080322/7e55f868/attachment.html

---

From: Matthew Keeley <matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 04:50:26 +0000

The blurbs make it sound pretty great, though I didn't read through all of
them - I want to be surprised with the book after all. Great cover art
though. And I believe we already knew it was a September release date;
Amazon puts it at the 16th of September. One just wishes they could get it
out a bit sooner.

And have we heard anything new on Wolfe's other projects? I recall hearing
about a few other novels he was working on?

And as I know some readers like hearing about books Wolfe likes, he has a
blurb on this:
http://www.amazon.com/Space-Vulture-Gary-K-Wolf/dp/0765318520/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206247765&sr=8-1

-Matt
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080323/5fa3dc36/attachment.htm

---

From: Brian Lindenmuth <blindenmuth at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 12:12:47 +0000

Back in the beginning of December Neil Gaiman posted the following on his
blog:

"For the last week, a few chapters a night, because you don't want to eat it
all at once, I've been reading Gene Wolfe's next novel AN EVIL GUEST. I
think I need to read it again. (This is a perfectly valid way to feel on
finishing a Gene Wolfe novel.) I'm going to write about it here by way of
setting my thoughts in order. It's set about eighty years from now, sort of,
although the future feels like a high tech 1930s (intentionally, I assume,
because in Gene Wolfe fiction it is safe to assume that things are
intentional), so much so that one finds oneself reading the book trying to
find a key to open it. The obvious key is Lovecraft, whose initials are
dropped early, and further inside the book we find Miskatonic University and
Great Cthulhu Himself (although not quite by name) , although that still
doesn't really help figure out what kind of thing it is one is reading.

The book is the story of Cassie, a minor stage actress who is just about to
become a major Broadway star thanks to the wizardry of Mr Gideon Chase, a
high tech mystery man and problem solver, and Cassie is also about to become
involved with a multibillionaire named Bill Reis, who may be trying to
murder her. (It also has Hanga, the shark god from Wolfe's chilling story
"The Tree Is My Hat" in it, from the Wolfe collection Innocents Abroad.) The
point that I felt I was getting a key to what kind of book this was was the
point where the name Cranston was dropped. As in Lamont, and The Shadow.
Which made sense of a few things, as both Gideon Chase and Bill Reis get to
cloud mens' minds in their own ways, have high tech gadgets and adventures.
And when I realised that then the book sort of shook and shifted in my head
and it seemed right and sensible that the future was a sort of 1930s future,
that the book moves from horror (sort of) to spy adventure (sort of, with
FBI agents and competing government agencies) with a tech sometimes
indistinguishable from magic, that Chthulhu's in there and a stage Musical
called Bride of the Volcano God, that Cassie is a sort of actressy Margo
Lane, that the very real Polynesians of "The Tree Is My Hat" have been
replaced with larger than life characters who feel like they could have
stepped down from a movie screen, that there is at least one werewolf (there
are hidden wolves in most Wolfe books, perhaps all) and a zombie and things
like huge bats that I'm still not sure what they were. It's a pulp thriller
-- and that's a compliment, because Wolfe knows from pulp thrillers (he
wrote a wonderful pastiche of one in "The Island of Dr Death and Other
Stories") and because here he's creating a strange sort of genre meltdown, a
21st century pulp adventure thriller with SF and horror elements that nobody
else could possibly have written."

Hope this helps everybody

--Brian
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080324/f964f5db/attachment.htm