Subject: (urth) Whos met or written to Wolfe

From: Oliver Wakefield <radontrooper at hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 21:41:00 +0000

Hi
 
Jus wondering if anyones met Wolfe? Scanning the net ive discovered the sci-fi convention and sadly due to my location will probably never go to one. It saddens me that I'll probably never meet Wolfe. I don't have the funds to travel to the US yet.
 
As that in the case I'm considering writing a letter to Wolfe. I must say that such things I have always thought of as obssessive and a bit odd but as Wolfe is a relatively low profile author there is always the tantalising chance of a reply to show the grandchildren. I must say that reading Wolfe has been probably the most enriching experiences in my life and my girlfriend has to put up with my rants of his greatness.
 
Have any of you guys attempted this. I know you can contact him through his agent. If you think this a really bad idea please tell me. I am aware that the answers are in the book its more a 'your great, keep up the good work' sort of letter.
_________________________________________________________________

Discover and Win with Live Search

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000007ukm/direct/01/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080511/7459d98a/attachment.htm>

---

From: Adam Thornton <adam at io.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 22:53:06 +0000

On May 11, 2008, at 4:41 PM, Oliver Wakefield wrote:

>
> Jus wondering if anyones met Wolfe? Scanning the net ive discovered  
> the sci-fi convention and sadly due to my location will probably  
> never go to one. It saddens me that I'll probably never meet Wolfe.  
> I don't have the funds to travel to the US yet.

I asked him what I think was a pretty coherent question at ReaderCon  
'99, and was a drooling and incoherent fanboy when I ran into him at  
Archon last year.  I wish that I had made a better account of myself.   
Alas.

Adam
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080511/c5aaa3b2/attachment.htm>

---

From: Andy Robertson <andywrobertson at clara.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 07:01:35 +0000

Go for it.  He's a charming chap. 

> Have any of you guys attempted this. I know you can contact him through his agent. If you think this a really bad idea please tell me. I am aware that the answers are in the book its more a 'your g…

http://www.thenightland.co.uk 

01273-488272 / 0777-214-9545

---

From: Eric Ortlund <eortlund at briercrest.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 15:49:33 +0000

Please forgive the stupid question, but . . . who is Wolfe's agent and
how you do reach him? 

Eric Ortlund
Assistant Professor of Old Testament
Briercrest Seminary
http://www.briercrest.ca/seminary/prospective/academics/programs/
http://scatterings1976.blogspot.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: urth-bounces at lists.urth.net [mailto:urth-bounces at lists.urth.net]
On Behalf Of Andy Robertson
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2008 1:02 AM
To: The Urth Mailing List
Subject: Re: (urth) Whos met or written to Wolfe [mx][spf]

> Jus wondering if anyones met Wolfe? Scanning the net ive discovered
the sci-fi convention and sadly due to my location will probably never
go to one. It saddens me that I'll probably never meet Wolfe. I don't
have the funds to travel to the US yet.
>  
> As that in the case I'm considering writing a letter to Wolfe. I must
say that such things I have always thought of as obssessive and a bit
odd but as Wolfe is a relatively low profile author there is always the
tantalising chance of a reply to show the grandchildren. I must say that
reading Wolfe has been probably the most enriching experiences in my
life and my girlfriend has to put up with my rants of his greatness.
>  
> Have any of you guys attempted this. I know you can contact him
through his agent. If you think this a really bad idea please tell me. I
am aware that the answers are in the book its more a 'your great, keep
up the good work' sort of letter.

_______________________________________________
Urth Mailing List
To post, write urth at urth.net
Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net

-------------------------
Invite the next generation of students to consider Briercrest College and Seminary. Visit www.briercrest.ca/refer.  
-------------------------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged proprietary material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, or distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, or authorized to receive the information from the recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

---

From: Andy Robertson <andywrobertson at clara.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 16:31:03 +0000

> Please forgive the stupid question, but . . . who is Wolfe's agent and

see at bottom of http://home.clara.net/andywrobertson/wolfemountains.html 

Andy R

---

From: Eric Ortlund <eortlund at briercrest.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 16:32:07 +0000

Thanks! 

Eric Ortlund

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2008 10:31 AM

> Eric Ortlund

see at bottom of
http://home.clara.net/andywrobertson/wolfemountains.html 

Andy R

---

From: brunians at brunians.org <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 18:16:18 +0000

Normally, one writes an author in care of his publisher. I have done this
with Wolfe and received no reply even after years, which hurt my feelings
a bit until I reflected that he is a busy guy and certainly had no
obligation to write me back. The problem, of course, is that having read
as much of his stuff as I have I feel that I know him a bit, and maybe I
do, but he does not (of course) know me at all.

I've also met him twice, like fifteen or twenty years apart, at the only
two SF conventions that I have attended. He does indeed seem a very nice
man.

.

> This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged proprietary material
> for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, or
> distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are
> not the intended recipient, or authorized to receive the information from
> the recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all
> copies of this message.

---

From: Oliver Wakefield <radontrooper at hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 00:22:44 +0000

Hmmmm. It seems that your unlikely to get a reply if you write to Wolfe. Fair enough really, hes an old guy whos still writing hard. Hmmm I might do it anyway. I wonder how many fan letters he gets? Might be the lucky one he writes back to. I suppose he could have an autoreply.
 
Dear Reader
 
Thanks for praise of my books. Severian is acctually erebus' son and abaia's his uncle and he didn't really save the New Sun. It was all a dream. Now leave me alone.
 
Gene Wolfe
_________________________________________________________________
Be a Hero and Win with Iron Man
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000009ukm/direct/01/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080513/40efc84e/attachment.htm>