Subject: (urth) Urth Digest, Vol 45, Issue 8

From: Ryan Buller <tribot at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 23:40:20 +0000

>
> In my first email on this list my text trailed off the end of the  
> page - is there anyway to keep the text within the window - sorry  
> ive never used a mailing list before. Also, as this list seems to be  
> the largest wolfe source on the net I was wondering who the  
> contributers are. Congratulations to all involved by the way. I am  
> just wondering which of you are sci-fi fans and which are general  
> readers. Also where are you from? Im from the UK and ive only met  
> one person whos read BOTN and this person someone who writes on sci  
> fi. Is Wolfe bigger in the US, i'm imagining this list is primarily  
> US?
>
> Thanks Ollie W
> _________________________________________________________________

I'm 29 and from Saint Louis.  Always been a Sci Fi fan since I saw  
Star Wars as a kid.  Grew up playing RPGs and got into the fantasy  
genre a bit as well.  It wasn't until about 4 years ago that I picked  
up my first Gene Wolfe book on a whim "The Knight", and really enjoyed  
it.  I've since downed about 12 of his books and have 5 or 6 more on  
the shelf waiting to be read.   I've been around nerd and geeks my  
whole life and currently work with a whole lot of them at a computer  
store and I was the one who discovered and started introducing my  
friends to Wolfe's work.  I'd say I have about 3 converts so far.  But  
it was odd that such a great writer was so barely known.  Which is why  
one has to admit that even though he's good, he's not for everyone.

I hear what you are saying about the lack of Wolfe content online.   
When I first started typing "Gene Wolfe" into the Google search box it  
was a little disappointing at first.  Truthfully though, there really  
is a lot of content out there (and a lot that used to be around but is  
lost) it's just scattered about in little pieces.  I ended up starting  
my own Wolfe Fan Site just so I could compile all the different Gene  
Wolfe sources I found online over the past few years.  Check out http://hoofandhide.wordpress.com 
.  You can search for content via keywords (powered by Magnolia) and I  
recently put up a gallery of book covers (powered by Flickr).   Maybe  
you'll find it helpful when trying to dig up more info on Gene.

Ryan B