Subject: (urth) Urth Digest, Vol 45, Issue 17

From: Yves Meynard <meynard at videotron.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 01:25:40 +0000

I was wondering why there was so much traffic on the list all of a  
sudden and feared it was bad news followed by a rash of shocked  
comments. Glad to find out it's a roll call instead -- I'll briefly  
add my voice to the choir.

I'm a Canadian, first bought a Wolfe novel (_Shadow_) in 1981, the day  
before my 17th birthday. I've met Gene, he's a very nice guy. His work  
has influenced my writing -- I used to joke I wanted to be Gene Wolfe  
when I grew up.

I'll second the recommendations for Vance and Crowley  
enthusiastically. I really liked Mieville's _Perdido Street Station_  
and _The Scar_. _Iron Council_, on the other hand, feels to me like  
his writing has gone sloppy. I stopped about halfway through it and  
expect to finish it some day, but it's been a disappointment.

- Yves

---

From: Matthew Groves <matthewalangroves at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 14:23:55 +0000

On 5/12/08, Yves Meynard <meynard at videotron.ca> wrote:
> His work has
> influenced my writing

Judging by Wizard Knight, there seems to be a feedback loup of influence.

> I'll second the recommendations for Vance and Crowley enthusiastically. I
> really liked Mieville's _Perdido Street Station_ and _The Scar_. _Iron
> Council_, on the other hand, feels to me like his writing has gone sloppy.

I have started and abandoned two Crowley novels, Little, Big and The
Solitudes.  I want to like Crowley, but The Solitudes just seemed
pretentious and boring to me.  Everyone who reads Wolfe says he is
great, and Alice Turner wrote a whole book on him.  What am I missing?

Matt G.

---

From: Pedro Pereira <domus_artemis at hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 15:01:31 +0000

You're missing one of the greatest writters alive.> Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 09:23:55 -0500> From: matthewalangroves at gmail.com> To: urth at lists.urth.net> Subject: Re: (urth) Urth Digest, Vol 45, Issue 17> > On 5/12/08, Yves Meynard <meynard at videotron.ca> wrote:> >> > His work has> > influenced my writing> > Judging by Wizard Knight, there seems to be a feedback loup of influence.> > > I'll second the recommendations for Vance and Crowley enthusiastically. I> > really liked Mieville's _Perdido Street Station_ and _The Scar_. _Iron> > Council_, on the other hand, feels to me like his writing has gone sloppy.> > I have started and abandoned two Crowley novels, Little, Big and The> Solitudes. I want to like Crowley, but The Solitudes just seemed> pretentious and boring to me. Everyone who reads Wolfe says he is> great, and Alice Turner wrote a whole book on him. What am I missing?> > Matt G.> _______________________________________________> Urth Mailing List> To post, write urth at urth.net> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
_________________________________________________________________
News, entertainment and everything you care about at Live.com. Get it now!
http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20080513/bad5c999/attachment.htm>