Subject: (urth) fifth head

From: dwallach at mail.utexas.edu <dwallach at mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 05:47:23 +0000

Hey guys, this is my first time writing on this thing. I've just recently been
introduced to Gene Wolfe (I finished Shadow and Claw a few days ago and am
reading Fifth Head of Cerberus while I wait for S&C in the mail). Anyway, I
just finished reading the first novella and I'm honestly kind of clueless as to
what that last line means (spoiler to those who haven't read it): "someday
they'll want us". Who is Number Five referring to and what does the line mean?
Thanks, and hopefully when I finish S&C and the rest of the Sun books I'll be
writing more.

-David

---

From: Dave Tallman <davetallman at msn.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 20:16:55 +0000

> Thanks, and hopefully when I finish S&C and the rest of the Sun books I'll be
Welcome, David. You can probably find many more detailed answers in the 
archives, but my take is that Number 5 has become just like his 
"father." Just as Maitre hoped to raise his family in the social 
hierarchy through his clone experiments, Number 5 will do the same with 
his new clone. "Someday they'll want us" means someday his family will 
rule. Someone once said "The definition of insanity is to keep doing the 
same thing, and expecting different results."